Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My tax year for at least the past 6 years has been Jan to Dec. Would it be possible to change it from August to August? In September of last year I sold off some holdings before the second market melt-down and now have capital gains of about $26,000. I qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion since my regular income is earned overseas. I am scheduled to pay about $2,700 tax on the $26,000 captial gains from securities I sold last September. Some of that gain I have since lost in the recent bear market. Could I claim my tax year now from August 1999 to August 2000? If so, I would be able to offset some of the gains by combining them with losses from the past three months of 2001 by establishing a new tax year from August 2000 to August 2001. Is this possible? If so, how do I go about doing it. Any advice is appreciated.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.