UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10395  
Subject: Changing Quicken File Name Date: 5/12/2012 10:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
In addition to my personal finances I use Quicken for the financial records of a couple not-for-profits I'm treasurer of. One of them would like to change its name. I'd like to change the name of the Quicken file so reports will have the new name but I'm a leary of screwing something up in Quicken.

I could go to the Quicken folder in Documents, right click on the Q file, and just do a file rename. My concern is whether there is something in the Quicken program that looks for the file names as originally setup and won't recognize the renamed file.

Using Quicken 2011 Premier with all updates.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9967 of 10395
Subject: Re: Changing Quicken File Name Date: 5/12/2012 1:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I could go to the Quicken folder in Documents, right click on the Q file, and just do a file rename. My concern is whether there is something in the Quicken program that looks for the file names as originally setup and won't recognize the renamed file.

So make a copy of the original file under the new name and see if Quicken will open it.

And if that works, rename the original file to a third name and see if Quicken will still open the new-name file.

Then if THAT works, do a couple backups of the new-name file and then you can delete the third-name file.

Author: Radish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9968 of 10395
Subject: Re: Changing Quicken File Name Date: 5/12/2012 3:19 PM
Recommendations: 5
So make a copy of the original file under the new name and see if Quicken will open it.

And if that works, rename the original file to a third name and see if Quicken will still open the new-name file.

Then if THAT works, do a couple backups of the new-name file and then you can delete the third-name file.

Why not just open the file in Quicken, use File | Save A Copy As... to save a copy with the desired name? Then if the copy works fine, delete the original.

Phil

Author: gdett2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9969 of 10395
Subject: Re: Changing Quicken File Name Date: 5/12/2012 6:57 PM
billjam,

I have produced many dozens of files in Quicken doing exactly what Radish stated when I was doing many different game plans for retirement planning.

With older versions, there were a number of files that had to be renamed if you did it manually using Explorer. Using the Quicken File, Save As took care of that. I continue to use it since it is easier, places it in the proper directory and I want to use the file right away in Quicken. Win, Win, Win.

Gene

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9970 of 10395
Subject: Re: Changing Quicken File Name Date: 5/12/2012 7:28 PM
Thanks all.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement