Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: gtownsend Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121455  
Subject: Char cont in year of marriage Date: 2/10/2002 5:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi Everyone,

I have a question about claiming charitable contributions.

My wife and I were married this year. We had each been making contributions via check to our church before we were married, her from her account and me from mine. After we were married we began making the contributions from our joint checking account, but we continued to use the envelopes the church had provided HER (she is a member of the church, I am not).

We received the Record of Contributions from the church in January, and it includes the contributions she made before we were married, and ALL of the contributions we made AFTER we were married. My name does not appear on this statement because I am not a member of the church.

I'm calculating our tax both ways (married filing jointly and married filing separately) to see which is most beneficial (taking state taxes into account of course). I'm confused on which return I should be deducting these contributions when doing married filing separately. Since my taxable income is substantially higher than hers, I'd like to take all of them on my return, regardless of who made them. I'm guessing that's not going to fly though.

I think it's pretty straightforward that the ones we made before we were married have to go on our separate returns. What about the ones after we were married? I'd like to get those on my return if possible, but like I stated above, they show up on the church's record of contributions which only has my wife's name on it. They were made from our joint checking account, which has my tax I.D. on it.

Is there a form or pub that details which return items must go on when filing as married filing separately? I looked on the IRS web site but didn't see anything.

Thanks,

Gary
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement