Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I just read Pub 526 and didn't find a clear-cut answer. What about deducting a contribution to the Nature Conservancy, for which you get a magazine? To me the value of the mag is zero--it's a collection of pretty pictures and updates on the projects of the group and some propaganda about global warming--nothing I'd ever consider paying for. But maybe we're supposed to assign some value to it and reduce our deduction by that amount. I dunno for sure but I'd guess that we can deduct the full amount. Right?

--fleg, glad to have learned the rules for donating taxidermy items during his research
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.