Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: BIOLAF Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121316  
Subject: Charitable donation haunts me . Date: 2/9/2001 7:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I had miscellanous income of $1500.00 in 2000 which i donated fully to a not for profit organization.However,I received a 1099-mis.What are my options.I really don't think i should include this as income for the year since i donated the entire amount.Pls help.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: euphoriant Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46022 of 121316
Subject: Re: Charitable donation haunts me . Date: 2/9/2001 8:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I had miscellanous income of $1500.00 in 2000 which i donated fully to a not for profit organization.However,I received a 1099-mis.What are my options.I really don't think i should include this as income for the year since i donated the entire amount.Pls help

You are required to report the income and the government knows you received it because they received a copy of the 1099 as well. Please report that on your return.

You can also report your contribution on your return, assuming you can itemize.

Good luck,
e

Author: RiverCityFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46032 of 121316
Subject: Re: Charitable donation haunts me . Date: 2/9/2001 11:06 AM
But it WAS income. You didn't have to donate it all -- you could have donated part or none.

Report it as income, and take the deduction -- see http://www.irs.gov/forms_pubs/pubs/p526toc.htm

Author: Edssam Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46089 of 121316
Subject: Re: Charitable donation haunts me . Date: 2/9/2001 8:41 PM
You must report this misc.income on your tax return.
If you itemize your deductions,you should report this charitable contribution on Sch.A

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement