Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: brewer12345 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121316  
Subject: Charitable donation question Date: 4/3/2003 10:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
DW and I are involved with a dog rescue organization which we donate to as well as help out with actually doing things. Today, DW is driving a few hours (each way) to pick up 3 dogs from a place that is giving them up. I know that I can deduct mileage and tolls, so I will be doing that. However, I had to buy some supplies so that she could safely transport these pups (leashes, collars, travel crates). These items will go with the dogs when we hand them off to other foster homes and/or adoptive families, so we personally will get no use from them. Can I deduct the $80 or so I spent on this stuff? Its not a huge amount, but it will add up over time as we do more of this. If we cannot deduct this, I could have the organization reimburse me and then cut them a donation check for roughly the same amount, as I do not intend to have them put any cash out for this. Will the IRS be kosher with this, or am I asking for trouble?

BTW, the organization is a 501c3.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64838 of 121316
Subject: Re: Charitable donation question Date: 4/3/2003 11:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I had to buy some supplies so that she could safely transport these pups (leashes, collars, travel crates).

IMO that constitutes an allowable out-of-pocket charitable expense.

Phil

Author: RiverCityFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64839 of 121316
Subject: Re: Charitable donation question Date: 4/3/2003 1:04 PM
Yep, you can deduct what you pay for supplies and equipment that you donate to a 501c3 organization. I'd keep your receipts with your tax records, with a note about the donation, and if the charity gives you a letter acknowledging your donation, keep that as well. (You only need a written acknowledgement if the non-cash donation is more than $250, but many charities will acknowledge smaller gifts.)

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64840 of 121316
Subject: Re: Charitable donation question Date: 4/3/2003 1:14 PM
You also need receipts from charities for cash donations over $250.

Debra

Author: sheldick One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 65079 of 121316
Subject: Re: Charitable donation question Date: 4/17/2003 2:31 PM
You also need receipts from charities for cash donations over $250.

but that's 250 per contribution, not necessarily total. so if the contributions occur at different times, then u don't have to consolidate them. just keep the records to confirm they are distinct.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement