UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dybza Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75539  
Subject: Charitible annuities Date: 9/7/1999 12:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Am new to these boards and not used to such. Did not see any information in brief check on charitible annuities. Gifted relatively small amount, and based on my age guaranteed a percentage (6.2) return for life. Also got tax advantage on portion of gift, and figure I will easily outlive the acturial (spelling?)basis of 20 years since I did this at age 62 (female) what are thoughts on this, as I may consider more in future or should I do it quickly before I get too old. Kids got their shares at age 30 if they don't know what to do with it at that age they never will. thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13799 of 75539
Subject: Re: Charitible annuities Date: 9/8/1999 2:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Greetings, Dybza, and welcome. You wrote:

<<Am new to these boards and not used to such. Did not see any information in brief check on charitible annuities. Gifted relatively small amount, and based on my age guaranteed a percentage (6.2) return for life. Also got tax advantage on portion of gift, and figure I will easily outlive the acturial (spelling?)basis of 20 years since I did this at age 62 (female) what are thoughts on this, as I may consider more in future or should I do it quickly before I get too old. Kids got their shares at age 30 if they don't know what to do with it at that age they never will. thanks. >>

A charitable gift annuity is a means whereby you can make a gift to charity, receive a tax deduction, and receive the benefits of an assured lifetime annuity in the bargain. A charitable gift annuity is one of the simplest ways to make a planned charitable gift that benefits both the donor and the charity. Once a charitable gift annuity is established, the donor begins to receive annuity payments based upon the annuity rate that applies to his or her age on the date of the agreement. Gift annuity rates range from about 7% for a donor age 65 to about 12% for donors in their 90s and vary from individuals and married couples, depending on their ages. In general, the older you are at the time of the gift, the better the rate for the annuity. Annuity payments remain fixed regardless of current investment or market conditions. Thus, over the years you will lose purchasing power due to inflation. these products may be attractive to seniors because they provide supplementary retirement income on which they can rely. A portion of the income is tax-free return of principal, similar to commercial annuities issued by insurance companies. The donor also is eligible to claim a charitable income tax deduction in the year of the gift.

If your objective is to make a contribution to charity while ensuring a lifetime stream of income, then a charitable gift annuity is a reasonable choice for doing so.

Regards..Pixy

Author: rjm1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13863 of 75539
Subject: Re: Charitible annuities Date: 9/12/1999 4:08 PM
<>

Be sure to provide for inflation in your planning. Look at what the items you buy now cost 10 or 20 years ago. What will they cost in 10 to 20 years? Try and get an annuity that will be adjusted for inflation, or a deferred annuity that starts paying you in say 5 years and another in 10 years etc. May want to go to a CPA to discuss your assets and expenses and get some advice on what you can do in this area.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement