UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 748853  
Subject: Charities Date: 11/10/2012 10:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
andrew was depressed by giving $50 to the American Red Cross because he thinks a bureaucrat ate it (likely).

So what charities do you all think are worth while, and how do you figure out which ones don't spend it all on overhead?

I try to spend some locally because I can see what is going on: Fire Department, 2 animal shelters. If you want to give to your local police department, I understand the best thing to do is go to your local police station. There are a lot of scams using police out there.

My college, but I give it directly to the department of my major - scholarship for geology students. The department helped me out when I needed it. I'm pretty sure now that one of the profs paid my way to Iceland. Also give directly to the econ dept at GMU. Have to keep Boudreaux in funds.

Homes for Our Troops. Got on the ground floor with them, and even though they've gotten a bit glitzier, they do good stuff. Working with local people and businesses, they build or modify homes for disabled veterans. You can give directly to a building program for a specific vet.

Salvation Army, natch. Have a center about a mile from us, so they get all the stuff we try to get rid of (unless we put it in front of the hedge).

Komen for the Cure - SIL's sister runs several a year.

Epilepsy Foundation Walk - DD does that every year

Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts

Wikipedia - yeah, I know they're progressive yoyos, but I also use their product a lot.

Here are some rating sites. I would love to know which is the best rating site. Found some interesting charities. Seriously considering the Marine or Navy Seals one (or both).

Highest-rated charities of 2011.
http://www.mainstreet.com/slideshow/smart-spending/highest-r...

Best charities that don't take taxpayer money
http://www.mainstreet.com/article/smart-spending/best-charit...

Charity Watch
http://www.charitywatch.org/toprated.html

Charity Navigator
http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Article and urls in Time
http://business.time.com/2011/06/01/how-to-help-tornado-vict...

Yahoo article from Dec. 2010
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pf_article_111649.html

Forbes article
http://www.forbes.com/top-charities/

Please chime in.

arrete
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654341 of 748853
Subject: Re: Charities Date: 11/10/2012 11:21 AM
Nice topic.

Obviously everyone has personal choice as to what causes to donate to, or reason why they pick charity X or Y. In the end, we can't be 100% certain hwo the money is being used, all we can do is our homework.

Personally, I've usually avoided the big huge national names. Of course those entities do good work but same fear as your hubby, it's being eaten by a bureaucrat. One exception is Fischer House. I've actually met some people from this charity and have seen what they do.

charity navigator, a site you pointed out is usually reputable.

I prefer smaller, local charities where I can either deliver STUFF instead of money, or at very least see what's going on.

In Woodbridge-Dale City VA there are a few A.C.T.S shelters and the leaders let us DIRECTLY give aid to residents. (this was back when I was a greedy business owner in nova)

Also, I really like Carptenter's Shelter in Alexandria.

Boy Scouts is another good one for me, but I prefer doing it with the individual troop, vs the Council.

JediG

Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654343 of 748853
Subject: Re: Charities Date: 11/10/2012 11:27 AM
Recommendations: 3
My favorite charity is The Human Fund ("Money for People").

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654347 of 748853
Subject: Re: Charities Date: 11/10/2012 11:38 AM
Carptenter's Shelter in Alexandria
---------------

I'm glad you reminded me of them. Many years ago I knew a guy who taught people at the shelter rudimentart computer skills. He also said, Carpenter's Shelter provided bus fare for looking for jobs and a lot of other things. They do operate the City of ALexandria's homeless shelter.

SIL sometimes hires people who have been through the shelters (or even still live there). They are a chancy group as far as a business is concerned. Reliabilty and all that.

arrete

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654349 of 748853
Subject: Re: Charities Date: 11/10/2012 11:44 AM
Recommendations: 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJvbZZWt9g4

arrete - snork!

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654362 of 748853
Subject: Re: Charities Date: 11/10/2012 12:23 PM
---------------------------------------------------
I think you'd be a kick-ass philanthropist.

Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654370 of 748853
Subject: Re: Charities Date: 11/10/2012 12:50 PM
---------------------------------------------------
I think you'd be a kick-ass philanthropist.

Literally. :-)

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654389 of 748853
Subject: Re: Charities Date: 11/10/2012 2:12 PM
Habitat for Humanity, local chapter
Dress for Success
Oregon Food Bank
Smile Train (fixes cleft palate deformities)
Children's Center of Oregon City (abused kids)
Health clinic

--fleg

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654391 of 748853
Subject: Re: Charities Date: 11/10/2012 2:18 PM
My favorite charity is the Wolverine Welfare Fund. No donation is too small.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654395 of 748853
Subject: Re: Charities Date: 11/10/2012 2:37 PM
"So what charities do you all think are worth while, and how do you figure out which ones don't spend it all on overhead?" - arrete

St. Jude Children's Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee.

Art

Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654407 of 748853
Subject: Re: Charities Date: 11/10/2012 4:32 PM
My favorite charity is the Wolverine Welfare Fund. No donation is too small.

I prefer the MadCapitalist Early Retirement Foundation. Give until it hurts, hayseeds. :-)

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654438 of 748853
Subject: Re: Charities Date: 11/10/2012 6:38 PM
hey thanks birdlady for posting this. I've been donating to Wounded Warrior Project for a couple of yrs now and then, as now, am very concerned by their marketing, sending stuff with requests for donations. Looking at one of the links I was reminded of The Fisher House and do a little further checking. I give to USO and sometimes DAV.

On the second link I think I saw a post that said sometimes about Charity Navigator receiving fees for ratings, the higher the rating, the higher the fees. I had noticed a few yrs ago that their info differed from some others and didn't trust theirs completely.
Here's that post:
Cynthia Louis

I am a Certified Grant Writer and member in good standing in both of the professional organizations serving the grant writing industry, the American Grant Writers Association (AGWA) and the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP). Both organizations require adherence to strict codes of accountability and transparency -- so I think it needs to be mentioned that Charity Navigator charges fees to non-profits to be rated by them -- and the higher the rating, the higher the fee. I suppose that a non-profit can consider that a business expense, the same as advertising or promotions, but many organizations simply choose to spend their funds on programming rather than overhead like a charity "rating". A better bet for a true picture of an organization's fiscal health and reliability is to check its Guidestar and Better Business Bureau listings, as neither charges a fee to be evaluated by them. And of course, one can always check with the IRS to make sure an organization has not had its 501(c)(3) status revoked or impinged

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
me again, I've come to rely on over the yrs. the BBB charity info. They do local organizations too. I give to local animal rescue and human related charities. I've been writing checks lately to a few groups lately that were in obits of friends or acquaintances...the last one to the local hospice in memory of the deceased.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654440 of 748853
Subject: Re: Charities Date: 11/10/2012 6:40 PM
oh and one of those human org's is Salvation Army, they do good work and while some may balk at it because of a "Christian" connection, I certainly don't, what counts is they help people in need.

LD

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654453 of 748853
Subject: Re: Charities Date: 11/10/2012 7:14 PM
http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/

Author: TerryMcK Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654491 of 748853
Subject: Re: Charities Date: 11/10/2012 10:16 PM
I have been using the Charity Navigator for some time, but thanks for the bbb link; that has some good info. I generally won't donate to an organization that doesn't use a minimum of 75% for programs (and usually 80%).

Some that we support:
National Federation of the Blind (91%)
Ronald McDonald House (79%)
Smile Train (81%)
Salvation Army (84%)
American Red Cross (92%)
Catholic Relief Services (95%)
Doctors without borders (89%)

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654495 of 748853
Subject: Re: Charities Date: 11/10/2012 10:34 PM
"Please chime in."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I give to United Way, Salvation Army, St.Judes, Doctor's without Borders.

Plus a few local school thingys and local need charities.

Howie52

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654510 of 748853
Subject: Re: Charities Date: 11/11/2012 7:28 AM
Hospital Hospitality House

Guiding Eyes for the Blind

Morris Foundation that does research into animal diseases such as lymphoma and seeks cures.

Drawing a blank on others beside the local animal rescue groups and Salvation Army....too dang early to be thinking and my newspaper hasn't been delivered due to production problems. Ack!

LD

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654523 of 748853
Subject: Re: Charities Date: 11/11/2012 9:45 AM
The ones you are personally involved with.

decath

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654524 of 748853
Subject: Re: Charities Date: 11/11/2012 9:49 AM
Our local church has a massive program to help indigent people get on their feet.

I don't know that exact membership count, but it is over 4k with many of us not only tithing but giving extra $ and time to run these ministries at little or no overhead.

We turn people around, get them jobs, health care, child training etc.

Turn them into productive citizens that most likely vote for like minded poltical candidates.

End result? After almost 40 years of existence (Denton Bible Church), Denton county is one of the most conservative counties in America.

decath

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654549 of 748853
Subject: Re: Charities Date: 11/11/2012 11:05 AM
So what charities do you all think are worth while...

The Providence House
http://theprovidencehouse.com

Hope Medical Macau
http://www.hopemacau.com

Nicaraguan Christian Outreach
http://www.nchristo.org

as well as my church and a scholarship at my alma mater.

...and how do you figure out which ones don't spend it all on overhead?

You have to be a little more involved than writing a check. All these organizations I'm involved or have been involved with at some level. I have a fair sense of the inner workings and of the people running the show. I find it easier to know how things work if its a local operation as opposed to a national/international outfit.

JLC

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654551 of 748853
Subject: Re: Charities Date: 11/11/2012 11:13 AM
Recommendations: 2
Please chime in.

As a sad aside, I will be donating less now that my taxes have gone up (or soon will according to everything I've read). As a few posters have joked, I need to take care of the JLC Retirement/Charity Fund first.

What many/most/all libs don't understand, that 3.8% tax on investments, increased M/M tax on income, tax on this and that, and pretty soon there goes all the scholarship money, there goes Providence House, etc. I don't have a freaking money tree nor golden goose in the back yard.

JLC

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement