UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: bestaluck2u Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35367  
Subject: Re: Detroit files for bankruptcy Date: 7/19/2013 6:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Charlie,

Every great society is defined by how well they take care of the elderly, indigent and less fortunate. Government was invented for said purpose. This year the Arab spring is proving once again the "golden rule" only goes so far. I'm not proposing a welfare state, I am proposing that people who run our government own up to their responsibility. As you suggest our government spends far and away more than it would take to fix some of our problems. All we are doing today is transferring wealth from our tax payers to the mega rich under the guise of war in the middle east. They feel entitled. They have spent good money creating these wars, they deserved to get paid. In the process a taxpayer or two pays the ultimate price. Others may get mangled in the process.

You and I have been blessed beyond what many have. I am able bodied, have gainfull employment, and am on target to join you in a secure retirement some day. (could be 4-8 years. I'll do it on about 1/3 of what you have). Most days each week I spend some time with people that have less than I have. Many come asking for a handout. Some are messed up, some are victims of bad luck, some could do better if they tried, some aren't worth the spit to clear your throat. I try to help all people that I can (within the rules of some programs) and not let my personal prejudices enter into the decision. I will say from my experience that people with major medical problems and expense are challenged to live life as we all desire. Not all are capable of continuing to work. Most would like to pay their medical bills just for a start. With today's interest rates some of the elderly widows are paying a heavy price. Too bad Ben will never see it for himself (good riddance). Investing in junk bonds is not an answer for the widows. I do admire their fortitude.

Most days we aren't too great of a society. Guess I'd choose "butter". They can have their "guns". So what does this have to do with a bond board? Welfare spending and wars drive interest rates upwards to the detriment of bond investors like myself. Seldom do people agree on the proper way to spend the tax payers money. We do have the best government that the rich can buy. Defined contributions have replaced defined benefits but most people don't have a clue what to do with it. For most people it's not necessarily going to get any better just because the pensions have gone out of style.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement