UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: altstrat91 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35367  
Subject: Re: Bond Offers a YTM of 522.5%! Date: 9/28/2012 3:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
charlie

i concur with your observations in terms of where the markets are heading. its not a matter of if but when. i can personally relate to what you are saying. my purchasing has dramatically slowed down the last couple months. YTD in my cash based portfolio i added 48 new corps but in my leveraged portfolio i added a little under 300 new corps. for me personally the debt side has been the way to go. i made the switch in mid of 2007 but at that point was mainly trading agencies.

bonds just have a different flow of transparency and process. yes we could talk about and point out the flaws of being a small fish in the proverbial big pond but there are still edges to be had for those willing to do the work day in and day out. in the last 15 years i have tried many different other trading methodologies and vehicles ranging from currencies, options, equities when scalping was still viable pre-decimilization but when all was said and done the results varied and to some extent there is a bit of randomness involved as well.

in a previous thread i asked a question to you in light of the fact that you revealed your YTD buy list in terms of are you actively managing positions or are you sticking with a process in the sense that you are buying across a broad range spectrum in order to achieve a specific annualized ROR or possibly something in the middle.

for me personally in my cash based portfolio we are very alike. i take positions because they have to be taken and let it play out. but in my leverage based portfolio that is well over the four digits mark i actively manage positions based on specific set of criterium.

in terms of shorting and taking a more hands on approach vs. a managed fund, one particular vehicle that really interests me are zero coupon strips. there is no interest to pay out. all you have to do is potentially take a borrowed position; looking into any applicable carrying costs. but this could be something to scale into over time.

one thing that has recently helped me in terms of reading all of your threads is this. in the past i have been hell bent on maintaining zero or break even on principal capital while maximizing income stream, very similar to howard's approach in terms of he sees his bonds as a provider of an annuity like income stream.

so if i picked a lemon position that tanked below a specific mental stop point, i would cut it loose and conversely sell a different position(s) in the green to void that said loss. but the reality is i was sacrificing income stream to do this and it really works itself out in the wash at the end of the year. any potential lemons which ultimately lead to a realized loss of principal can merely be "taken off" the back end out of your annual income stream thus reflected in the final annualized ROR or Yield for a given year.

if i get my hands on any decent floating rate corp notes i will pass along the cusips.

regards
preston
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement