UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: brucedoe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35357  
Subject: Re: Yesterday’s Damage? None to Bonds Date: 5/9/2010 4:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Charlie

Well I feel that ALL corporate bonds are a gamble. In fact in over 50 yrs of "investing" I alway avoided corporate bonds until the last decade. So yes, I do not think that corporate bonds are anywhere near as safe as Treasuries.

I have sort of a rule that I will sell a stock that lowers its dividends. Yes, sometimes that is a good move for a company to make, but for a company like GE to break a 38 year record of increasing its dividends, I recognize it was not done casually so there must be some serious problems that they recognize. So I sold my GE common stock when they reduced the dividend (at a sizable loss, unfortunately). But I had also read that they may be forced to spin off GE Capital which worried me even more.

I'm afraid that your comments on GE sound rather emotional rather than rational to me. GE is far more than turbines. I'm even sorry they got rid of half of NBC. My favorite TV stations are MSNBC and CNBC (along with PBS and TCM). But they apparently felt they had a hard time making it work profitably. And they even have tried to get rid of their electric light bulb business which is where they got their start. We all know what happened to Westinghouse when they got rid of their light bulb business. You lose your identity with the public.

Corporations are not meant to be permanent institutions. When the reasons they were formed go away, they go away unless they reinvent themselves (like IBM and Corning have done). The second largest corporation in 1900 was U.S. Leather. They decided not to reinvent themselves so they went away. But light bulbs are different than leather. We still use them. Yes, I think there will have to be a very long-term transformation to compact fluorescent and LED lights, but that doesn't sound that hard. And there are lots and lots of people resisting this change.

brucedoe
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement