Charlie,You're scaring me. I'm talking with a broker at Washington Mutual Financial (recommended by our accountant) about creating a five to seven year bond ladder with over $400 K of my 89-year old mother's money. I'd feel more comfortable buying Vanguard's Total Bond Market Index (VBMFX), Short-Term Bond Index (VBISX), or Intermediate-Term Bond Index (VBIIX), but I'm concerned about buying at a near peak NAV, given the unusually low interest rates.Her portfolio, after removing the IRA I inherited, is about $850 K. My thinking has been 40% in Vanguard's Total Stock Market Index (VTSMX), 10% in Vanguard's REIT index (VGSIX), and the remainder in fixed income investments. Our accountant and the broker question the wisdom of 50% in equities for an 89-year old women. Mom has brothers 102 and 96, as well as a sister 97.Advice is welcome. I know nothing about buying bonds.db
Best Of |
Favorites & Replies |
Start a New Board |
My Fool |
BATS data provided in real-time. NYSE, NASDAQ and NYSEMKT data delayed 15 minutes.
Real-Time prices provided by BATS. Market data provided by Interactive Data.
Company fundamental data provided by Morningstar. Earnings Estimates, Analyst Rat