Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Charlie48K, on the deductibility of payments to help a friend attend college:
No, not unless she's a dependent. But, there is no gift tax.


There may be gift tax involved. Only payments which are made directly to the school and only payments for tuition are exempt from gift tax consideration. Payments for living expenses, books, supplies, state tuition program, etc. are subject to gift tax (but may be offset by the annual exclusion).

For more information see the instructions for Form 709, US Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.