UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884872  
Subject: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/20/2013 2:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
A thread where you can post about stuff where you are a cheapa$$.

I already posted about my flip flops.

Another cheapa$$ thing I'm doing is to keep using my current wallet. About 10 years ago, my wife bought me a wallet for Christmas because she thought my current wallet was worn out. About 2 years later, my MIL bought me a wallet. I'm still using the "worn out" wallet. I figure with two brand new wallets sitting in a drawer, I'm now set for life as far as wallets are concerned.

PSU
Print the post Back To Top
Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871833 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/20/2013 4:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My most cheapa$$ thing is driving my 1998 Honda Civic hatchback. I did spend $850 to change the timing belt and several other maintenance items last year (thanks Steve, who advised me that the timing belt might break). The car has 65,000 miles and gets 37 mpg. At my current driving rate, the car will probably last longer than I will (Hondas usually last 250,000 miles). This saved me about $17,000 on buying a new car (since I like the Honda Fit).

My second most cheapa$$ thing was buying and installing a new hard drive in my computer, which I bought refurbished from HP in 2007 (thanks to OrmontUS, who advised me that the hard disk might crash). Despite tons of great advice that I was nuts (including from the estimable PSUEngineer), I'm happy because I can continue to run Windows XP and my computer is much faster. This saved me about $700 on buying a new computer.

Wendy

Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871834 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/20/2013 4:53 PM
I forgot to mention that I bought the new Seagate hard drive on cyber Monday for $100 (including the internal wire needed to attach it).

Wendy

Author: riprock45 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871835 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/20/2013 5:02 PM
I buy reading glasses at Dollar Tree (they cost a ..um..dollar). When the arm breaks off, I keep the broken ones in a drawer.

Then when the arm breaks off the next pair, I use the unbroken arm off the first pair to fix it.

Rip

Author: JonathanRoth Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871836 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/20/2013 5:11 PM
Recommendations: 1
My most cheapa$$ was divorcing my first wife:

$$$$$ no counseling bills
$$$$$ no criminal defense lawyer

Author: alchook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871838 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/20/2013 5:38 PM
Recommendations: 8
When my shirts get dirty I send them to the dry cleaners so I can wear them again when they’re clean.

Author: oncqueen Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871843 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/20/2013 9:09 PM
Recommendations: 13
I (with permission) fished out of the hospital's remodeling dumpster (easy to peer into as I go to and from my parking spot) a sturdy vinyl-upholstered chair and matching loveseat, both in an ugly deep rose. Hospital furniture is REALLY sturdy, made to take lots of abuse.

Spouse stripped down the oak frames and refinished with leftover stain and polyurethane. I went to JoAnn's with my trusty coupons and got some beautiful closeout upholstery cloth, 50% off even the "red tag" price, with an additional 15% off my entire purchase.

Now I have a very sturdy, nice-looking cloth-upholstered chair and bench for the hangar, for a total cost of.....$7.91. I also have 2 sturdy wheeled metal carts and an IV pole on wheels. The plan for the latter is to make it into a custom dress form, using a plaster mold and spray foam.

It's shocking what people will throw away! Thank heavens Mom taught me how to sew!

Author: mollyd77 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871848 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/21/2013 4:53 AM
Recommendations: 6
Bikini waxes at home. You have got to be committed to frugality to do this.

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871849 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/21/2013 9:47 AM
I'm really more of a spendthrift trying to turn myself cheap. However, i am still driving a 10 year old Elantra despite really, really wanting a new car.

And my mother tells me I'm cheap about furniture. Last time she was at my house she said I have only bought one piece of furniture since I moved into the house! This isn't true, I also bought a desk and a bed, but it's pretty close. Furniture is really, really expensive.

Author: ModernViking Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871854 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/21/2013 1:02 PM
Normally I'm a lurker on this board but I saw this and just had to chime in...

I already posted about my flip flops.

I have a pair of Tevas and a pair of old tennis shoes (now relegated to outside duty) that I've kept functional with the wonders of Gorilla Glue. In both cases the treads had separated from the body of the shoe. I was worried that the glue would be too stiff but it actually works quite well. Only problem is you need about eight clamps to get the glue to set properly for each shoe or else it will leave gaps.

Another cheapa$$ thing I'm doing is to keep using my current wallet. About 10 years ago, my wife bought me a wallet for Christmas because she thought my current wallet was worn out. About 2 years later, my MIL bought me a wallet. I'm still using the "worn out" wallet. I figure with two brand new wallets sitting in a drawer, I'm now set for life as far as wallets are concerned.

I kept my old wallet long enough until stuff (money, credit cards, etc) started falling out of it. It's that point at which making do with my old wallet definitively ceased being a LBYM type thing.

Author: crackdclaw Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871855 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/21/2013 1:18 PM
When my shirts get dirty I send them to the dry cleaners so I can wear them again when they’re clean.

Makes sense, and I'll do something similar. When I'm shopping at Nordstrom I'll visit the shoeshine booth, sit down and pay $5 to have my shoes shined. Then they kind of look new again.

Author: alchook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871856 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/21/2013 1:44 PM
When I'm shopping at Nordstrom I'll visit the shoeshine booth, sit down and pay $5 to have my shoes shined. Then they kind of look new again.

I thought of doing that myself but I didn’t think it would get the creases out of the leather.

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871857 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/21/2013 1:48 PM
My cheapa$$ of the month is gratis my mom and sister. My sister happened upon a clearance at someplace like Big Lots for Purex 3 in 1 sheets. These are laundry sheets that combine detergent, softener and antistatic in one thick sheet. Apparently they are very expensive but when my sister found them marked off 75% she bought every box the store had set out. After she had used them a couple of times my mom realized that instead of throwing out the used sheet, which was thick and resilient, it could be used as a cleansing pad for scrubbing kitchen countertops etc. One side of the sheet is even a little rougher than the other side; and they obviously stand up well to being soaked in water. So my mom saves all the used sheets and gives me half of them. They are actually more useful than I remember paper towels being (back when I still used paper towels). When we run out of sheets we'll have to come up with another cheapa$$ trick because we won't be buying Purex 3 in 1 at their regular price.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871858 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/21/2013 2:38 PM
I have a pair of Tevas and a pair of old tennis shoes (now relegated to outside duty) that I've kept functional with the wonders of Gorilla Glue. In both cases the treads had separated from the body of the shoe. I was worried that the glue would be too stiff but it actually works quite well. Only problem is you need about eight clamps to get the glue to set properly for each shoe or else it will leave gaps.

Try Shoe Goo.
http://eclecticproducts.com/shoegoo.htm

Author: Hardboiled Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871859 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/21/2013 2:50 PM
I can't find the Purex 3 in 1 sheets anymore -- I'm wondering if they were discontinued. I used to cut them in half before using. They were good to send with kids to camp or college. I found a bunch on sale for $1 / box and bought all of them. Then, they were no more.

Gail

Author: ModernViking Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871861 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/21/2013 3:30 PM
Recommendations: 4
One more thing to add here (brag session):

Recently completed a kitchen renovation (DIY = LBYM). One of the last things I had to do was install under-cabinet lighting, which if you priced it based on purpose-built, retail under-cabinet lighting I was looking at a few hundred dollars just for the lighting hardware.

Being the industrious DIY'er I wish I could afford not to be, I bought 15 feet of LED ribbon from Amazon (~$15 and change) and hard-wired them into the 12V circuit supplying lighting in my range hood. Totally clean install, and now all the cabinet-level downlighting runs off the same switch.

Seriously, what could have been several hundred dollars in under-cabinet lighting I got done for less than twenty bucks and a couple hours over the weekend.

(patting myself on the back)

Author: crackdclaw Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871862 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/21/2013 3:46 PM
I thought of doing that myself but I didn’t think it would get the creases out of the leather.

Perhaps it's time to repurpose them. You could use them as a door stop, a paper weight, or bookends. You might want to try using them as decorative planters for your garden, but then you would want to drill holes in the soles for draining. I don't like using old shoes for planters when the soles are still good. With good soles you may want to consider making some heavy-duty slipper socks. Cut the soles off and stitch them to strong wool socks. I suggest using a carpet needle and heavy thread. These will last for years and you can replace the sock tops again down the road.

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871863 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/21/2013 3:56 PM
I found a bunch on sale for $1 / box and bought all of them

Yep, that's how my sister got her stash. and like you we never see them on the shelf anymore. So when they're gone, they're gone. Even if we could find them on the shelf (which we can't) they sure were pricey (although they are very convenient and do an excellent job with the laundry) so I'm not sure my sister would buy them at regular price. I myself go for the absolutely cheapest detergent I can find (spanish brand name from Mexico sold in bulk) since my children have finally passed the dirt-magnet stage and it doesn't take much to clean our clothes. My sister on the other hand needs laundry products that can handle serious stains and grime and just general omgwhatisthatmuck?

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871866 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/21/2013 4:22 PM
I myself go for the absolutely cheapest detergent I can find (spanish brand name from Mexico sold in bulk)

I've been buying the arm and hammer stuff. It was one of the few brands that remained somewhere near at the price Tide used to be before their prices skyrocketed. Where do you buy yours?

Author: NaggingFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871868 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/21/2013 5:29 PM
Yeah, looks like they replaced them with candy pods, I mean detergent pods.

http://www.purex.com/products/detergents/purex-complete-3-in...

- Megan

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871872 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/21/2013 7:39 PM
I've been buying the arm and hammer stuff. It was one of the few brands that remained somewhere near at the price Tide used to be before their prices skyrocketed. Where do you buy yours?

I buy Foca (cue tasteless jokes) powdered detergent at Super Mercado or sometimes if I'm in the town 20 miles away at an El Rancho supermarket. Comes in a big plastic bag. If it's not available some other brand, name I can't think of, in a big rigid plastic tub. A bag will literally last me months and months. Partly because it is not designed for HE washing machines so I use maybe a 1/4 cup or less for a load of laundry. Remember though we are not pigs in our household and unlike my sister's two little boys do not roll around in the mud or paint our t-shirts with ketchup.

Author: Hardboiled Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871873 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/21/2013 8:31 PM
I make my own laundry detergent, as do many of the LBYMers. The recipe I use calls for one bar of laundry soap (Fels Naptha) grated; 1 cup of washing soda; 1/2 cup of borax. I add some of the generic brand of Oxiclean. I make four or five batches at a time and use a food processor to grind up the laundry soap. It works well in HE washers -- very little sudsing.

Gail

Author: hunnypot1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871883 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/22/2013 3:00 AM
About 8-9 years ago I bought a small Coach leather purse on Ebay for only $15 used. It was the real deal - soft, buttery leather. As a matter of fact, Coach stores will polish their purses for free, no receipt required. So I had brought it in a couple of times for polishing. Over time, this purse got some scuff marks, but never a tear. Such a solidly made product.

Well, I asked my DH to replace this scuffed up purse this Christmas. I sent him a link to an Ebay auction: $29 (including shipping) for a slightly larger version of this black leather Coach purse. Used, of course.

It is perfect. And since I got almost 9 years out of the $15 model (~$1.67 a year!), I plan to have this one for a very long time.

Author: alchook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871887 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/22/2013 11:16 AM
Perhaps it's time to repurpose them.

That's a good idea. In the past I tried donating them to "Shoes for the Deaf" so I could get the tax deduction.

Unfortunately I was told that the deaf absolutely hate creased calf skin and they were not accepted.

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871891 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/22/2013 12:11 PM
I have an old coach purse. I might try to take it in and repolish it.

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871893 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/22/2013 12:37 PM
They are available on Amazon. I didn't really scour the site, but this was the cheapest I saw them:

http://www.amazon.com/Purex-Complete-Tropical-Escape-Sheets/...

Shop & Save is selling them for $49.79 for a 6 pack of 24 count packages. Including the $4.45 shipping charge, they are 37 cents each sheet. If you cut them in half, that makes them about 19 cents per load.

It looks like the packages come in many different sizes, from 10 count to 44 count. How many were in your $1 packs?

Author: crackdclaw Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871894 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/22/2013 1:25 PM
That's a good idea. In the past I tried donating them to "Shoes for the Deaf" so I could get the tax deduction.

Unfortunately I was told that the deaf absolutely hate creased calf skin and they were not accepted.

Next time try "Shoes for the Blind", they are impartial to creases in leather shoes.

Author: Hardboiled Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871895 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/22/2013 3:33 PM
I got 24 in the $1 packs. And I got five or six packs. One of those deals to brag about!

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871896 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/22/2013 3:47 PM
When we order things online, sometimes the shipper packs the items in a brown kraft paper, instead of air pockets or bubble wrap. They are perforated for easy tearing every 8 inches or so, and are the perfect size for our tiny crayon artist.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8096/8497819079_641a45d991_z.j...

The cost savings on drawing paper may or may not be nullified by our little one literally tearing the walls down while I am putting the extra in the supply closet.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8106/8497819217_5aef428fa7_z.j...

Author: alchook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871899 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 2/22/2013 6:36 PM
Next time try "Shoes for the Blind", they are impartial to creases in leather shoes.

I guess I’ve always assumed that the blind, while often having poor eyesight, compensate for this with a hyperacuity of their other senses, which would make any imperfections in foot-wear even more distressing for them.

Author: kirbivore One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872637 of 884872
Subject: Re: Cheapa$$ Thread Date: 3/23/2013 2:39 AM
I'm the same way with wallets. I was forced to buy a new one after 10 years wear and tear caused it to fall apart. Part of the reason was put too many receipts in there. People used to laugh at my "Costanza" wallet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sz2HDRJkUQ

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement