UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 885709  
Subject: Cheaper than Airstream trailers, Date: 3/23/2013 2:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
... but not as much room.
http://imgur.com/a/D9yIk

In my youth we teenagers went "car camping" i.e. driving up into the mountains building campfires and sleeping on the front & back seats. We had cars with bench seats in those days.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872684 of 885709
Subject: Re: Cheaper than Airstream trailers, Date: 3/23/2013 3:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
Every year, thousands of Americans are introduced to the sport of camping. There are many approaches to it. "Car camping," for example, is where the camp is within 20 feet of the car, and a portion of each is actually spent in the car, either because the tent collapsed or somebody thought he "heard a bear."

"Backpacking" is where the camp is more than 20 feet from the car, and no portion of the night is actually spent in the car, except in dire emergencies, such as when someone thinks he "saw a bear."

"Solitary camping" is where a lone camper lies awake at night wondering how he could have been so stupid as not to have brought somebody along with him. You know you are involved in solitary camping when you ask, "Did you hear that noise? Do you think it might be a bear" and nobody answers. Of course, it may be that the reason you are suddenly involved in solitary camping is that the person you were with does think the noise sounds like a bear and is now engaged in car camping.

"Group camping" may consist of as many as 40 individuals, none of whom thought to bring a can opener. A Cub Scout outing is typical of group camping, and it often ends with the adult leaders spending the night pressed inside a pup tent with 14 Cub Scouts because somebody had the bright idea to telling scary stories around the campfire.

And if you listen closely, you will hear one of the expressions most heard around the campgrounds. It is "When heck freezes over." This is used by wives and mothers to indicate the next time you'll get them on another camping trip.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872685 of 885709
Subject: Re: Cheaper than Airstream trailers, Date: 3/23/2013 3:17 PM
Recommendations: 2
Sorry forgot attribution. Something I read in Readers Digest a few years ago and still remember.

I still don't understand why I can remember stuff like that but often call my children by the wrong name.

Author: LOTROQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872690 of 885709
Subject: Re: Cheaper than Airstream trailers, Date: 3/23/2013 5:29 PM
Recommendations: 9
Every year, thousands of Americans are introduced to the sport of camping. There are many approaches to it.

My favorite is "Hotel Camping"

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872691 of 885709
Subject: Re: Cheaper than Airstream trailers, Date: 3/23/2013 6:04 PM
ChiliSpouse claims that my idea of camping is Holiday Inn. Not true. My mantra is "No thermostat, no Chili."

I always think of the youngest daughter on "Major Dad" when they had finally gotten into a cramped station wagon for a camping trip. As they backed out of the driveway, her small voice rang out, "Why would anyone want to go out in the woods and live WORSE than they do at home?" Could not agree more. ;)

Chili
Knows how to rough it

Author: cgrinder Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872738 of 885709
Subject: Re: Cheaper than Airstream trailers, Date: 3/24/2013 3:44 PM
Recommendations: 0
but not as much room.
http://imgur.com/a/D9yIk

In my youth we teenagers went "car camping" i.e. driving up into the mountains building campfires and sleeping on the front & back seats. We had cars with bench seats in those days.

must of had a rambler!

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872770 of 885709
Subject: Re: Cheaper than Airstream trailers, Date: 3/25/2013 1:07 AM
Ray,

It's more a function of "creaking knees" syndrome.

Forty-plus years ago, I did extensive backpacking - at altitude, in Utah and New Mexico - far above the Mississippi Valley's 600 feet above sea-level. Never saw a bear - except on raft trip and the bear was on the other side of the river, during a lunch stop.

I sneered at car camping - unless it suited the needs of the trip - typically time constraints.

That said, I'm profoundly happy my sons are in grad school and I no longer have any part of "Group Camping".

PM

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872782 of 885709
Subject: Re: Cheaper than Airstream trailers, Date: 3/25/2013 10:30 AM
In my youth we teenagers went "car camping" i.e. driving up into the mountains building campfires and sleeping on the front & back seats.

I went to undergrad in Colorado. On the weekends we went to what were referred to as "Woodsies". Someone would acquire a keg of beer (or several), take them out to the middle of the woods in a forest on the side of a mountain and build a big campfire. As I remember it people pretty much slept where they passed out.

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872783 of 885709
Subject: Re: Cheaper than Airstream trailers, Date: 3/25/2013 10:40 AM
Plus I have to throw in the obligatory plug for camping. It's a wonderful way to spend time with your kids. If you're new to it, it takes a little time to get up to speed so that you can do it in comfort. But once there I guarantee you it's an absolutely wonderful way to unwind, be stress free for a few days and recharge. I'm a big believer in back to nature and isolation from lots of humans. I like quiet. I like completely dark skies. I like clean air. I like no "artificial" noise. I like no electronics. At least for a week or two out of the year.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872788 of 885709
Subject: Re: Cheaper than Airstream trailers, Date: 3/25/2013 12:10 PM
My favorite is "Hotel Camping"

I second that. I won't even stay in a B&B if it has shared bathrooms!

Author: skorthos Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872868 of 885709
Subject: Re: Cheaper than Airstream trailers, Date: 3/26/2013 6:49 PM
LOTROQueen: My favorite is "Hotel Camping"

Yeah!

And if one really wants the camping experience, one can open the windows to hear the bugs chirping. Or the birds. Whatever.

"Hello, room service?"

Author: Hohum777 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872869 of 885709
Subject: Re: Cheaper than Airstream trailers, Date: 3/26/2013 7:14 PM
Plus I have to throw in the obligatory plug for camping. It's a wonderful way to spend time with your kids. If you're new to it, it takes a little time to get up to speed so that you can do it in comfort. But once there I guarantee you it's an absolutely wonderful way to unwind, be stress free for a few days and recharge. I'm a big believer in back to nature and isolation from lots of humans. I like quiet. I like completely dark skies. I like clean air. I like no "artificial" noise. I like no electronics. At least for a week or two out of the year.

I suspect you and I are among a small minority.

Happy Camper

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872891 of 885709
Subject: Re: Cheaper than Airstream trailers, Date: 3/27/2013 10:01 AM
It sounds like something Erma Bombeck might have written. She wrote quite a few columns about the "joys" of camping.

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872984 of 885709
Subject: Re: Cheaper than Airstream trailers, Date: 3/31/2013 11:32 PM
Recommendations: 2
Would you believe I am still catching up on the Boards? Well, by the time I hit your post, it had disappeared.

Now, to the subject. When I was in college, I had a Plymouth Valiant station wagon. We would drive up the Blue Ridge Parkway, park the car in a camping area, and sleep behind the back seats. We had placed a double-bed mattress in the back and all 4 of us would pile on that mattress and sleep. Fortunately, the campgrounds had showers, etc., so we were able to shower in the mornings. We had soooooo much fun.

Donna (thanks for bringing back the memory)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement