UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: sale1120 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Check Card problem Date: 6/26/2003 11:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This may not be the proper forum so please bear with me. I am new. Having given up credit cards, I was recently triple billed at WalMart for a $91 check card purchase. Has anyone else had this problem, and how was it resolved? The poor branch manager of Suntrust (which is located within the WM store) has gotten the run around in his own bank.
This happened on Fri the 13th, and only through a telephone call today did I find out I was supposed to sign a form - which they had failed to tell the BM about, and which he subsequently had them fax. I was previously told that it would take ten days to resolve, and when I told them today that I would just call the police and file a police report for theft of my money, they said it could be fixed in 48 hrs. What a bunch of idiots have our money????
Print the post Back To Top
Author: hunnypot1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 163372 of 308881
Subject: Re: Check Card problem Date: 6/27/2003 3:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I have had a duplicate debit occur using my ATM. My credit union took care of it immediately. Several years ago I had another error occur where Southwest Airline manually entered the wrong Visa number and entered my Visa check card number instead. They took out nine debits of $100 each ($900 total). The employee at Southwest immediately credited eight of the transactions back to my account ($800). I assume they were having a hard time ringinng up this order! I was out $100. When I spotted all the transactions on my bank statement I just about had a heart attack! I called my credit union. They sent me forms, which I promptly returned. They had to investigate and in about 4 weeks they refunded my money.
I have been told that customers are not supposed to be hung out to dry like that anymore with Visa Check Cards, but I still won't get one again. I only use an ATM requiring a PIN.
If your bank does not correct this error immediately, I would get a new bank.

Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 163380 of 308881
Subject: Re: Check Card problem Date: 6/27/2003 9:03 AM
I have had hunnypot1's experience, only for a lesser dollar amount. This has happened to me on both credit cards and debit cards.

Credit card: Call the credit card company. Charge is reversed pending investigation. Because investigation goes in my favor, charge never comes back.

Debit card: Walk into credit union. Get told I should first deal with the merchant, which is not practical for a gas-at-the-pump. OK, fill out form claiming billing error. They will investigate. Get money back several weeks later when investigation goes in my favor.

I don't use the debit card much any more.

Patzer

Author: cyberisme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 163381 of 308881
Subject: Re: Check Card problem Date: 6/27/2003 9:03 AM
I've only had a double "dip" done once before - and I simply called my bank - they had already reversed the double charge before I called them.

BTW I bank at ETRADE.com

C.

Author: VodounGroove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 163395 of 308881
Subject: Re: Check Card problem Date: 6/27/2003 10:38 AM
What a bunch of idiots have our money????

This is one of many reasons I closed my Crestar account soon after they were bought by SunTrust. Intelligence and customer service are not priorities there.

Good luck
Kaiti

Author: buckmizer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 163412 of 308881
Subject: Re: Check Card problem Date: 6/27/2003 12:01 PM
This just happened to me with Home Depot. They charged my debit card twice.

I called my credit union and a woman told that I could come in, fill out the form and they would do the investigation, etc. She then said that I would probably get my money faster if I went to Home Depot and had them straighten it out.

Since Home Depot is closer to my house (and has longer hours) than the credit union, I went that route. I showed them the charges and they corrected the problem the next day. It did take some waiting while the customer service rep figured out the problem.

I really wish Home Depot would hire more employees--they always seem swamped.

Fred

Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 163450 of 308881
Subject: Re: Check Card problem Date: 6/27/2003 3:58 PM
Recommendations: 2
sale1120,

You wrote, This happened on Fri the 13th, and only through a telephone call today did I find out I was supposed to sign a form - which they had failed to tell the BM about, and which he subsequently had them fax. I was previously told that it would take ten days to resolve, and when I told them today that I would just call the police and file a police report for theft of my money, they said it could be fixed in 48 hrs. What a bunch of idiots have our money????

I've had Sam's Club double ding me several times; but I use Discover with them. Discover has always sorted it out in a few days and I've only ever had to call them about it once -- they usually pick up quickly on the fact that the amounts and times and authorization numbers are all duplicates.

Since I have about 5 times the credit that I need to make a month's purchases on that card, the temporary loss has never been a burden.

I personally don't like taking risks like that with my checking account. This is one of the reasons I recommend not using a check card.

BTW: The bank legally has 45 days to investigate a mistake. If you didn't file a written complaint within 48hrs of the suspected fraud, you can legally be held liable for up to $500 of the loss by the bank. Before the 48hrs, you can only be held liable for $50. You would have to pursue the merchant to recover this loss, if the bank doesn't make good on it.

Duplicate journal entries on a purchase/withdrawal probably wouldn't pass muster as a criminal offense. They lack any obvious criminal intent to defraud. However, you probably would have a good civil case against the merchat. But the police would probably be reluctant to even take a report on something like this.

One of the reasons I like using a credit card is that their consumer protections are far superior to those surrounding deposit accounts. I just pay them off when I get the bill.

- Joel

Author: gam321 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 163451 of 308881
Subject: Re: Check Card problem Date: 6/27/2003 4:19 PM

If you didn't file a written complaint within 48hrs of the suspected fraud, you can legally be held liable for up to $500 of the loss by the bank. Before the 48hrs, you can only be held liable for $50. You would have to pursue the merchant to recover this loss, if the bank doesn't make good on it.

I have heard this before, but I have never been able to find a good source supporting this. According to the FTC at the link below, you maximum liablity is $50...it doesn't say anything about 48 hours. or $500. Please correct me if this is wrong.

http://www3.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/atmcard.htm

Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 163460 of 308881
Subject: Re: Check Card problem Date: 6/27/2003 6:15 PM
Recommendations: 5
gam321,

I wrote, If you didn't file a written complaint within 48hrs of the suspected fraud, you can legally be held liable for up to $500 of the loss by the bank. Before the 48hrs, you can only be held liable for $50. You would have to pursue the merchant to recover this loss, if the bank doesn't make good on it.

To which you replied, I have heard this before, but I have never been able to find a good source supporting this. According to the FTC at the link below, you maximum liablity is $50...it doesn't say anything about 48 hours. or $500. Please correct me if this is wrong.

http://www3.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/atmcard.htm

Your own link to the FTC website says it. To quote the site:

ATM or Debit Card Loss or Fraudulent Transfers (EFTA). Your liability under federal law for unauthorized use of your ATM or debit card depends on how quickly you report the loss. If you report an ATM or debit card missing before it's used without your permission, the EFTA says the card issuer cannot hold you responsible for any unauthorized transfers. If unauthorized use occurs before you report it, your liability under federal law depends on how quickly you report the loss.

For example, if you report the loss within two business days after you realize your card is missing, you will not be responsible for more than $50 for unauthorized use. However, if you don't report the loss within two business days after you discover the loss, you could lose up to $500 because of an unauthorized transfer. You also risk unlimited loss if you fail to report an unauthorized transfer within 60 days after your bank statement containing unauthorized use is mailed to you. That means you could lose all the money in your bank account and the unused portion of your line of credit established for overdrafts. However, for unauthorized transfers involving only your debit card number (not the loss of the card), you are liable only for transfers that occur after 60 days following the mailing of your bank statement containing the unauthorized use and before you report the loss.

This confirms what I said. What's more, it clarifies the issue by telling you that after 60 days, there is nothing the bank can be held responsible for.

- Joel

Author: gam321 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 163461 of 308881
Subject: Re: Check Card problem Date: 6/27/2003 6:22 PM
Your own link to the FTC website says it. To quote the site:
<SNIP>
This confirms what I said. What's more, it clarifies the issue by telling you that after 60 days, there is nothing the bank can be held responsible for.

DOH!!! I posted the wrong link. I'm not quite sure where I got that other link from, but I have never read it before. This was the one that I meant to post:

http://www3.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/cards.htm

Which obviously only applies to Credit Cards. I am going home now, as my brain is obviously fried from working too much this week. Sorry for any confusion.

Author: Lucchetti One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 163481 of 308881
Subject: Re: Check Card problem Date: 6/28/2003 3:27 AM
I've noticed that multiple billing often happens when the merchant swipes the card several times because it doesn't "go through" the first time, even if only one slip is ultimately signed.

Even if no slip is signed... I stopped at a 7-Eleven after arriving late one night at my destination. The clerk swiped my AmEx a few times, then requested that I pay in cash because the machine wouldn't read the card. I complied, but found the original charge on my next bill. A quick call to AmEx, explaining what had occurred in this out-of-town transaction, was enough to reverse the charge. (I sent a letter, certified return receipt, as I usually would. However, I've always found that AmEx launches investigations upon a phone call, before they've even received the letter. You can now also do so online. I haven't found CitiCards to be as attentive.)

In any case, I suppose this situation is proof that signed paperwork doesn't get matched up with the electronics.

--L

Author: mrbol Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 164375 of 308881
Subject: Re: Check Card problem Date: 7/11/2003 12:54 PM
This happened to me with a Pep Boys purchase using my check card. But the duplicate charges kept coming in once a month, sometimes twice a month. Each time, I would dispute with my bank since getting hold of anyone at Pep Boys that would/could do anything was impossible.

After about 5 charges, I determined it had to be fraud/criminal so I wound up writing to the Attorney General's Consumer Affairs office. Within a week I had an appology call from the home office of Pep Boys, and an appology letter in the mail a few days later.

In addition, I got double credited, which I told them about, but did not pursue it when their incompetence didn't result in them removing the double deposit from my bank account. I just figured it was payment for the hassles, troubles and certified mail receipts.

This was over three years ago. I still use check cards since I don't have any/much good credit yet.

Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 164447 of 308881
Subject: Re: Check Card problem Date: 7/11/2003 11:08 PM
mrbol,

Good evening! It's good to see another familiar face at The Motley Fool!

Are the wife and kids well?

- Joel

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement