UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ChilkatSally Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 746037  
Subject: Checking in Date: 10/20/2001 3:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 23
Hi folks,

Some of you might remember that I retired early in April. I thought I would share a few thoughts about my experience.

I retired from a high stress programming job, uncompensated on call 7 X 24, 1200 users, 33 sites. My desk phone rang constantly with calls that actually did deal with life and death issues. I could walk in almost any city in Alaska and have folks know me. My daughter is grown up, gone and didn't need me.

Suddenly, my biggest decision was what to make for dinner. There were a couple months of weirdness while I went from a productive person to unproductive and not very needed.

This was an adjustment that was harder to make then I thought it would be. It was not about my hobbies and interests, it was how valuable I saw myself. I am happy to report that I did make the adjustment and when offered a side contract the other day, I was able to pass it up:-)

At first, I spent a great deal of my cushion. I rationalized a new generator and tools for my cabins. I hired contractors to upgrade and do badly needed maintenance to my cabins. I spent a month in England. I got that spending in check and am now living well within my budget now. I will be able to put some of my cushion back by year-end.

Part of the budget stretching has come from house sitting. There is a demand for responsible housesitters here. I have people tracking me down all the time for this. I haven't paid for rent since I retired.
Its pretty clear to me that I could winter in a snowbirds house and spend summers at my cabin if I wanted.

The rationalization process for breaking my budget was pretty scary. If someone has hints for combating this , please let me know.

Thanks again for all the support from this board while I was in my planning stage.

Susan

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tsusi Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53673 of 746037
Subject: Re: Checking in Date: 10/20/2001 7:07 PM
Recommendations: 1
Part of the budget stretching has come from house sitting. There is a demand for responsible housesitters here.

Susan - where is "here"? I have been interested in exploring housesitting, but do not know how to "break in".

Susi

Author: ChilkatSally Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53678 of 746037
Subject: Re: Checking in Date: 10/20/2001 9:54 PM
Recommendations: 0
Part of the budget stretching has come from house sitting. There is a demand for responsible housesitters here.

Susan - where is "here"? I have been interested in exploring housesitting, but do not know how to "break in".

Susi,
"Here" is Juneau, Alaska. While I was in Haines, Alaska there were three adds in the paper looking for winter house sitters.

If you live in a part of the country where there is seasonal movements of people, you might be able to take advantage of this.

It could just be a matter of letting people know you are available, like the bulletin board of your church or senior center. I have seen adds for professional house sitters in the local paper "here". They charge people a daily fee to take care of the plants, pets and home while they live there rent free.

I wouldn't want to do this full time but it does make it easy to come to town once in a while.

Susan

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement