Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
The last time I checked any market news was Monday, August 31. That means I now haven’t looked at my portfolio in Fidelity, my TMF scorecard, any Fool One, MDP, DV or TMF reports, the boards (I’m posting this without otherwise checking anything), Seeking Alpha or Yahoo. I haven’t watched CNBC. For 35 hours--my record.

I’m hoping to keep this up for at least a week. Whether I can or not, I will restart/extend this “quiet” period at least to the end of September. I lean toward extending it through October. Probably not into November, but who knows.

I’m a successful investor courtesy of 5 years’ Fool education and love our community. The market has become an unexpected avocation in retirement--which is a good thing.

But between TV, my computer, my smart phone and the newspaper, stocks are absorbing too much of my life. I need to break my daily pattern of obsessive attention to my positions if I can.

I am comfortable with at least 90% of my 75 positions, and not in a hurry to do anything with the others. Before TMF was in my life, I bought a lot of stock in February/March 2009 and didn’t sell anything, so I know my risk tolerance is high. I have good patience when it comes to buying or selling a position. And I’m convinced--rightly or wrongly--that if I never bought or sold another share, my portfolio would continue to do better than the 5-7%/yr that I need to support my lifestyle.

So my obsession with the daily ‘noise’ is disconnected from my needs as an investor. I want to use the time I waste much more productively. As it is, I am reading less, meditating less, working out a bit less, paying less attention to mail and email, etc. That already changed a bit yesterday!

I know I won’t keep this up beyond a month or two, but my hope is that I will be less caught up with the market and my portfolio on a daily basis when I return.

I won’t see any responses to this post, but you can copy me personally if you want to.

Wish me luck. And all best to this wonderful community.

BRD
(Very long Fool One, MDP, DV and TMF)
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.