Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9208  
Subject: Chess vs Poker Date: 3/27/2009 9:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<<Chess sounds like another casualty of the diminution of close, easy, simple personal interaction that has no promise other than mere enjoyment.

That's what happened with me. I wound up getting into poker. hmmm... Play chess for fun, or win money playing poker?
>>

So what are the differences between chess and poker and what are the differences between chess players and poker players?

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post Back To Top
Author: psuasskicker6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9176 of 9208
Subject: Re: Chess vs Poker Date: 3/30/2009 10:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
There may be little difference between the players. But one of the biggest differences in chess vs. poker is that in chess, you are playing the pieces on the board. In poker, it is much more ambiguous as to what the "correct" move is, and you play the opponent far more than you play the "pieces" (cards).

- C -

Author: Burghy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9178 of 9208
Subject: Re: Chess vs Poker Date: 3/30/2009 10:05 PM
I think that chess and poker both require some of the same skill sets: stamina, logical thinking, patience, pattern recognition.

Chess also requires calculation and memorization.

Poker requires a lot of statistical knowledge, and emotional control.

It is fairly easy for chessplayers to move to poker if they have the right emotional mindset, which is why a lot of chessplayers have been playing poker. Poker has more money in it.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement