Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 41117  
Subject: Chestnuts Date: 11/18/2012 6:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm assigned to do a sweet potato dish. Yam is close enough... however, this recipe calls for chestnuts..... in light of a relative who is absolutely allergic to nuts, ...

Are chestnuts actually nuts?

http://52restaurants52weeks.wordpress.com/2010/11/21/cookin-...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38046 of 41117
Subject: Re: Chestnuts Date: 11/18/2012 6:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Found the answer... it's a tree nut same as a mcadamia, walnut or cashew.

Hmmm what to substitute for crunch for chestnut?

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38048 of 41117
Subject: Re: Chestnuts Date: 11/18/2012 7:06 PM

Pepitas--as they're seeds, not nuts? Peanuts--as they're legumes, not nuts?

sheila

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38051 of 41117
Subject: Re: Chestnuts Date: 11/18/2012 8:45 PM
Gwen says "Great idea.... thanks Sheila!"

sano says: What she said! Pepitas ought to be a fine counterpoint the sugar, lime and rum!!

Gracias!

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38055 of 41117
Subject: Re: Chestnuts Date: 11/19/2012 9:16 AM
Since before we met, my husband makes a sweet potato casserole adapted from a gourmet magazine (original was more fattening) that's a beloved part of our Thanksgiving and Christmas feasts:

(1) Peel, cook, and mash 6+ sweet potatoes/yams with 1/4 stick of butter and 1/4 cup brown sugar (or 1 Tbsp molasses plus 1 Tbsp sweetener of choice such as splenda, raw sugar, agave nectar).
(2) Stir in 1/2+ cup cream (originally heavy cream, we now use half & half ;-), grated rind and juice of an orange, 1/4 cup or so of dark rum, and a little freshly grated nutmeg.

This is a great side dish with plain meat such as grilled pork chops, steak, or chicken. It also freezes well.

The holiday sweet potato dish I grew up with was Eastern European (Jewish) Tzimmes, which, as my mother fixed it, combined sweet potatoes/yams with carrots, dried prunes and apricots, butter, orange juice and cinnamon. I haven't made it for years, but this recipe from Martha Stewart looks about right:

http://www.marthastewart.com/318407/tzimmes

ASIDE
One of my children's favorite vegetables growing up was carrot tzimmes, with honey and cinnamon and a touch of butter, but no dried fruit.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38056 of 41117
Subject: Re: Chestnuts Date: 11/19/2012 9:34 AM
Found the answer... it's a tree nut same as a mcadamia, walnut or cashew.

Suggestions so far have been AbFab.....but, as common as "tree" nut allegies are, "pea" nut allergies are even more common. Are you sure of which "nuts" the person's allegic to?

Playing it safe for a family gathering is fine.....I'd err on the safe side if I had any sort of family to be celebrating with.... but *knowing* is worthwhile for future reference. I've had experience of folk who purport to be "allegic" to something that they presumably didn't care for that much, only to find that they managed to wolf down something they liked without any untoward symptoms that should've required the use of an Epi-Pen if they were genuinely *allergic*

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38057 of 41117
Subject: Re: Chestnuts Date: 11/19/2012 10:08 AM
Recommendations: 3
Suggestions so far have been AbFab.....

Right! Thank you all for the great ideas.

... as common as "tree" nut allegies are, "pea" nut allergies are even more common. Are you sure of which "nuts" the person's allegic to?

We discovered my little sister's allergy when she was not quite 4 yrs old. She got a cashew from a chinese entree. Anaphylaxis happened FAST! She turned bright red and was gasping for air in less than a minute. Fortunately my Dad, M.D. always had his 'brown bag' at home, knew immediately what to inject, and thus avoided what could have been a tragedy. Scarey stuff, anaphylaxis.

The test proved peanuts are okay, but tree nuts are verboten... and never travel//dine out without an epi pen.

Have a great holiday, one and all.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement