Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Facts: I am a single mom (only 1 child) and have joint legal custody with the dad (I have primary physical custody). I earned about $36K last year of my own salary and received about $7K in spouse support. As per a court order, I refunded $2K of the spouse support to the child's father. As per another court order, the Dad is supposed to share 50% of Day Care costs. He & I both paid about $2K to the child's daycare provider. However, I was the only one who provided supplies to the daycare, like diapers and wipes. (The dad should have shared the costs, but he didn't). I also donated a car to a charity.

I plan to file as head of household with standard deductions and claim the child as my dependent.

Questions: (1) Can I claim a credit for the donated car if I am claiming standard deductions?

(2) Can I claim Child Care Credit for payments made to the daycare provider?

(3) Can I claim a credit for daycare supplies, namely diapers and wipes. If yes, do I have to show receipts or can I make an approximation?

(4) Are there any other credits available to me?

- Donna.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.