Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: kendama One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Children of divorced or separated parents Date: 1/23/2008 10:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello,
I have a hypothetical question about dependents. Here's the fact situation:

The dependent is a 10-yr old child. During the year, the child's parents were divorced and did not live together. The child lived for 4 months with his mother (M), 3 months with his father, and 5 months with his grandparent.The parents together paid more than half of the child's total support for the year, although mother paid more than the father as per their respective time periods of co-habitation with the child.

As long as the child is in the custody of one or both parents for more than 6 months of the year, and as long as the parents provide more than half the support for the child, the IRS seems to allow the NON-CUSTODIAL parent to claim the child as a Qualified Child as long as the custodial parent agrees to sign form 8332. So here, the father would be able to claim the child as his Qualified Child as long as he was able to get the mother to sign Form 8332.

But what about the case where the mother wants to claim the child? She has the power to provide a dependent for the father simply by signing Form 8332, but it seems to me that she has no right to claim the child for herself if she so chooses. It seems awfully perverse that the father, who is NOT the custodial parent, and who paid less for the child's support than the mother, is able to claim the child (with the mother's signed permission) but the mother, who is the custodial parent and who paid more for the child's support than the father, cannot.

If I am wrong here, and in fact the mother CAN somehow claim the child, can somebody point me to the language that allows this? From my reading of Publication 17, it seems that the custodial parent only gets to claim the child if he (the child) lived with the parent for more than half the year.

Thanks in advance,

Ken
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement