UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: masonjarjar Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 413  
Subject: Re: He's not exactly Austistic, but... Date: 4/2/2009 12:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Children with higher-functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder, Aspergers or Non-verbal Learning Disorder have a hard time socially. They just don't have an innate knowledge to be able to read non-verbal queues from people, or to know what is appropriate to say in a certain situation.

A conversation might go like this:

Friend: I got a new bike today! Do you want to see it?

AS Child: My dog is sick.

So, the "Friend" would go find some other kid who was interested in his bike, and the AS child would be left alone.

Now, I know from experience that difficulties with understanding and communication can lead to MAJOR meltdowns. Whether or not this child is having a meltdown due to this, it's hard to say.

I do know that many people with AS also have problems with Sensory issues, body control, "space" and such.

It's hard to know from the information given, but I hope this helps some. I would think that in this day and age, if he is on the spectrum, it would have been diagnosed by now, BUT.. I've been constantly shocked by what doctors can miss too..

I do know that what AS kids sometimes need is someone to listen.

We know a family who has a son that was recently diagnosed with Aspergers. (I'm thinking, OMG what took so long! he's 12 and it was obvious to me the first time I'd met him a few years ago..anyway..)

His "thing" is Star Wars (most Aspergers people have a thing they really really into and will focus on it to the point of being experts), and he really wanted to talk about it. I'm sure his family and other friends were probably just about sick of hearing about it, so when I had the chance one day, I decided to just talk to him about it (I was a huge fan as a child too.. hmmm). Now, mind you, it wasn't a normal conversation (he did most of the talking and jumped from subject to subject, movie to movie), but he was excited and seemed to enjoy having someone to talk to. It was nice, and it felt good to help.

Since I have girls, a lot of the time when I'm with other families, I find boys that have bouncing-off-the-walls super-energy hard to deal with, so I can't offer too much advice there. But maybe, just maybe give a little extra attention, as the child might not be able to express himself as well as the other kids..

-Mason
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Heads Up, Real Estate Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement