Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: brianbrak One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 192883  
Subject: chkNYC Date: 9/14/2001 6:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 12
Hello Christina from New Zealand

I posted a general message of sympathy and best wishes to the US on the New Zealand site and in particular mentioned you because I knew you worked in the Manhatten area. It then occured to me that I might find out about your well-being by searching your name and I'm so please to hear you are OK.

I guess this is a token gesture, but my wife and I have been talking about how difficult it is for us, being so far away, to do anything effective to help you guys and incidentally my wife comes from Nova Scotia so you are close to her home. We have concluded that in the short term anyway, to let you guys know that you have friends thinking about you from even the farthest and smallest corners of the world, we might help you to pick yourselves up and help carry the burden of what the future you will ask you to bear.

I posted one of my favorite quotes on the current affairs post and I'll repeat it hear:

When you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, stride down and light the bastard yourself!

Please pass on our thoughts to your friends and especially to those you must know who have lost family and friends.

Brian and Fiona
Print the post Back To Top
Author: redhed Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 33798 of 192883
Subject: Re: chkNYC Date: 9/14/2001 7:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
wow, again.

I'm sure others here at the BBB will join me when I say, you'll never know how deeply touched I am by your thoughts and good wishes.

Gratefully,

redhed

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 33799 of 192883
Subject: Re: chkNYC Date: 9/14/2001 8:31 PM
Recommendations: 2
We have concluded that in the short term anyway, to let you guys know that you have friends thinking about you from even the farthest and smallest corners of the world

Brian and Fiona:

A heartfelt thank you. You can't know how much it means to me and to all Americans to know that people from as far away as New Zealand are thinking about us.

The one thing I would like to ask of you is prayers. Prayers for the victims, prayers that survivors may still be found, prayers for their families, prayers for the many workers looking for survivors and prayers for the rest of us who need them. I wish I was a good enough person to ask you to pray for the people who perpetrated this atrocity and/or are responsible for this disaster but I'm really not able to do that.

Rest assured that I will pass your thoughts on and you should know that those thoughts will be sincerely appreciated.

Christina

Author: coldfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 33806 of 192883
Subject: Re: chkNYC Date: 9/14/2001 10:22 PM
Recommendations: 0
I'm sure others here at the BBB will join me when I say, you'll never know how deeply touched I am by your thoughts and good wishes.

aye

Author: TexSilver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 33825 of 192883
Subject: Re: chkNYC Date: 9/15/2001 5:20 AM
When you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, stride down and light the bastard yourself!

I have determined that when I retire I'm going to learn cross-stitching and make samplers of some of the great quotes I have read in my life. This one will be on my wall.

Author: Earble Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 33915 of 192883
Subject: Re: chkNYC Date: 9/16/2001 8:49 AM
Recommendations: 7
Brian and Fiona --

I'm not Christina, but I want to respond.

Whether we live in New York City or Washington or elsewhere, all of us Americans have been deeply affected by the events that have occurred. After all -- and this comment is in no way intended to diminish the unique pain that is being suffered by those directly affected -- these attacks were on America, not on the specific locales. We are all stunned, angry, hurt, frustrated, confused.

But posts such as yours, from our friends elsewhere, provide comfort.

My wife and I were watching TV last Friday evening, and we happened across the re-broadcast of the official Canadian memorial service in Ottawa. The formal government ceremony I expected; that's what governments do. What literally brought us to tears was the picture of 100,000 Canadians, who took time out on a beautiful late summer afternoon to stand in solidarity and sympathy with us. Nobody told them to be there -- no staged demonstrations as in other parts of the world -- but they came.

It's times like this that you find out who your friends are. Those of you in New Zealand, Australia, the UK, Europe and elsewhere -- and especially Canada -- thank you for being good and true friends.

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 33921 of 192883
Subject: Re: chkNYC Date: 9/16/2001 10:10 AM
I'm not Christina

Earble:

No, you're not but you are certainly most welcome here at the BBB. I appreciate your also replying to our Kiwi friends.

How are things in upstate NY?

Christina

Author: Earble Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34022 of 192883
Subject: Re: chkNYC Date: 9/17/2001 8:13 PM
Recommendations: 1

Same as everyone else, I guess, though certainly not as traumatic as you all are. Our police, firemen and EMT's are volunteering by the hundreds to go down. We've sent crisis counselors. Most people want to help, to do something, and donating cash and giving blood doesn't seem to be nearly enough. Even prayer seems inadequate right now.

We all know somebody who knows somebody. I have a sister in law that lives in the 70's, and my wife's aunt and her husband live in the 90's. We feared for her cousin's husband, but he's OK. But I found out today that a business acquaintance who's from the environs almost surely lost friends and/or family. So it gets closer again.

Things are starting to take on the appearance of normalcy... the local TV stations are showing more regular programs, people are a bit less solemn. And I feel a bit guilty.

But we have to push on. There's really no other option.

We're here. Let us know what we can do.

-- Earble

not at all anti-NYC, just likes tweaking sometimes on the Folly in New York board

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34025 of 192883
Subject: Re: chkNYC Date: 9/17/2001 9:08 PM
We all know somebody who knows somebody.

I just heard of another this morning. The father of one of my son's classmates (the boys have been in school more-or-less together for 10 years) was unable to get a flight from Denver. He decided to drive home and was killed in a car crash.

That's why I couldn't "drivel" this morning.

The ripples and reverberations just keep on coming.

I'm so, so sorry.

~~ Aliso

Author: LucyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34037 of 192883
Subject: Re: chkNYC Date: 9/17/2001 9:46 PM

Same as everyone else, I guess, though certainly not as traumatic as you all are. Our police, firemen and EMT's are volunteering by the hundreds to go down. We've sent crisis counselors. Most people want to help, to do something, and donating cash and giving blood doesn't seem to be nearly enough. Even prayer seems inadequate right now.

I've talked to my son in Russia a couple of times since I've mentioned it here. He told me that the Russian people's offer of blood donations has been turned down and they feel rebuffed. I explained to him that the Red CRoss is overwhelmed with people wanting to donate blood to the point that they asked some people to go home and come back at a later date. He says he's getting a much different spin on what's happening from me than from the Russian news programs and their Russian neighbors and friends, of course, as he says, his Russian is terrible.

Lucy

Author: TMFRavynous Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34058 of 192883
Subject: Re: chkNYC Date: 9/18/2001 9:47 AM
The ripples and reverberations just keep on coming.

I'm so, so sorry.

~~ Aliso

{{{{{Alison}}}}}

I'm so sorry, how is your son doing? It must be rough on him as well as you. That's the parents of two of his friends that have died in the last week.

hugz and prayers.

Rav

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement