Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: NailThatJello Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 30417  
Subject: Chocolate progress Date: 1/27/2013 3:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
My defensive strategy is to find low carb alternatives to the diet killers like pizza and chocolate. On the chocolate front, I went to war today against Reese's peanut butter cups. A real weak point. I gotta shoot them before they shoot me down.

I made a sugarless Reese's-style chocolate peanut butter cup today, and in spite of my serious doubts at the outset, it worked. I bought some small soft silicon cupcake molds, put them in the freezer. Then spooned in a little low carb chocolate in liquid state and rolled the mold around so the sides would get coated. Once it started to harden I popped it into the freezer to fully harden. Then repeat about three times to build up that side wall.

Then drop in some peanut butter and seal it with some more chocolate on top. When hardened, gently turn the mold inside out and they pop right out undamaged.

Tasted pretty much like the real thing! Take that, Satan.

In other news, I found suppliers of chocolate nibs and cocoa butter on Amazon. This should make it more realistic tasting than using coconut oil.

Next evildoer to take down: After Eights.

Dare I think it: can m&m's be far behind?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Runemage One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29962 of 30417
Subject: Re: Chocolate progress Date: 1/29/2013 3:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi NailThatJello

I've been reading your chocolate posts with interest. Inspired by your efforts, I've made my own low carb choc with coconut oil, coconut finely shredded in the blender, finely ground almonds and Truvia, a Stevia product, to sweeten. I use Green and Black's organic cocoa powder, it has such a good taste http://www.amazon.com/Green-Blacks-Cocoa-Organic-powder/dp/B...

Your peanut butter cups sound delicious, have you found some peanut butter that has no sugar or even worse, HFCS content?

In other news, I found suppliers of chocolate nibs and cocoa butter on Amazon.

Please be careful, cocoa butter comes in two grades, 'cosmetic' that's used for making your own lip balm and hand cream etc. but it's not pure enough to eat, and 'food' grade which is okay to eat, but so expensive in the UK.

Yesterday, I made some low carb chocolate cake. Instead of the usual wheat flour, I used one third finely ground almonds, one third gluten-free flour and one third chestnut flour. I also used Truvia, a branded Stevia to sweeten. The finished effort wasn't bad, a little dry but edible.

I'd like to get it even lower carb as the GFF contains both rice and potato flour, but I've not had much success so far in substituting anything else for that.

Rune

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29963 of 30417
Subject: Re: Chocolate progress Date: 1/29/2013 4:24 AM
Recommendations: 1
...have you found some peanut butter that has no sugar or even worse, HFCS content?

I don't know about access in the UK, but "natural" peanut butter is very common in almost every grocery store here in the US. Even the big peanut butter makers typically have an all natural version, which is ground peanuts and in our case salt. Not a fan of the unsalted.

IP

Author: NailThatJello Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29964 of 30417
Subject: Re: Chocolate progress Date: 1/29/2013 2:53 PM
have you found some peanut butter that has no sugar or even worse, HFCS content?

Even bigger problem, perhaps is most of them have hardened plant fat (trans fat). Which has such bad cardiovascular and other effects that it should be banned from this earth.

So like Inparadise I buy the organic one which is just peanuts and salt. Took a bit of hunting to find it here in Germany where peanut butter is not common.

My nibs arrived today. I also bought organic, since these must be grown in the tropics where food safety laws can be pretty lax. I chewed on a few - haven't had time to make chocolate yet - and they taste fantastic. High hopes for my first attempt with them in the next day or two.

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29965 of 30417
Subject: Re: Chocolate progress Date: 1/29/2013 4:41 PM
Took a bit of hunting to find it here in Germany where peanut butter is not common.

Know anyone at a US armed forces base? If you do, they can no doubt pick it up for you at their grocery store on base.

IP

Author: NailThatJello Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29966 of 30417
Subject: Re: Chocolate progress Date: 1/30/2013 1:46 AM
Know anyone at a US armed forces base? If you do, they can no doubt pick it up for you at their grocery store on base.

No I don't, but I found some in a large chain store called Kaufland.

It's so atypical for a German to buy for direct consumption of peanut butter that the label says on its front, "for cooking use." For example in Thai peanut sauces etc. To give buyers some idea of what the heck they could use it for.

Its such an obscure item to locals, that even Amazon is out of stock of it. Amazon usually has just about everything one can think of.
http://www.amazon.de/bioZentrale-Erdnussmus-aus-kontrolliert...

The hardened plant fat, sugared etc. American brands like Skippy are easier to find, for the international crowd that's used to that crap.

Author: NailThatJello Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29967 of 30417
Subject: Re: Chocolate progress Date: 2/1/2013 10:50 AM
Made my first rondayvoo with them real chocolate nibs. I followed this guy's method:
http://youtu.be/xgOkUuXpIgc

It's a bit of effort for a small reward, but the chocolate tasted authentic and fantastic. Like the highest grade you could buy at a high class chocolate store. I guess because it was 100% real.

Like he advised i added cardemom, chili and cinnamon. All good. A deep rich flavor that just doesn't quit.

I used some Truvia crystals I had left over instead of a liquid sweetener but next time I'll try my liquid sweetener, I think it should work.

Only problem I had is no stone mortar and pestle so I couldn't heat my metal one in the microwave like he did. I didn't think to just put hot water in it instead to heat it up. I should have, because the chocolate hardened so much in the mortar that I had to really work to scrape it out. As a result my chocolate was a little flaky.

It is very sticky stuff, it could be used as glue as well. Delicious glue.

Author: JenBales Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29968 of 30417
Subject: Re: Chocolate progress Date: 2/4/2013 5:32 PM
I would kill for good chocolate fudge. Nobody send me to that peanut butter fudge that I see everywhere - fudge is chocolate in my world.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29970 of 30417
Subject: Re: Chocolate progress Date: 2/9/2013 1:22 PM
The hardened plant fat, sugared etc. American brands like Skippy are easier to find, for the international crowd that's used to that crap.

Have you ever tried just buying peanuts and roasting them and making your own peanut butter? We do that with almonds.

LWW

Author: NailThatJello Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29995 of 30417
Subject: Re: Chocolate progress Date: 3/30/2013 2:12 AM
Recommendations: 2
A big advantage I've found after a couple months of making my own chocolate bars from nibs, is that I'm satisfied with just one or two little squares at a time. In the sugar days I could never stop without eating most or all of a standard chocolate bar.

I'm not sure of the reason but it may be that the deep rich flavor in one square of homemade is equal to that in a whole commercial bar. The commercials usually contain more than half sugar, plus milk powder. Chocolate is the minor ingredient. Hence the same amount of chocolate fix in just a square or two of real nib chocolate.

Oh and the absence of sugar-insulin response could be playing a role too...

I just use my coffee grinder to make the chocolate, followed by pounding a minute or two in the mortar and pestle. I don't know if that second step is really necessary, but it's fun.

One thing I discovered is not to add any liquid ingredients, namely the sweetener and the vanilla, into the coffee grinder. If I do that the grinder isn't able to do its job well and I end up with chocolate that is too grainy. I add those liquids at the mortar-and-pestle stage.

Homemade chocolate bars are a great addition to my low carb toolkit, I'm really happy with it for plugging my weak spot for chocolate.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement