UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: rosemeade One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75340  
Subject: Choices in 457 plan Date: 11/19/1998 4:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am fortunate to have as part of my employment a deferred compensation plan in addition to the County sponsored/required pension. The pension is a mandatory 5% per pay, the 457 deferred compensation plan has a contribution ceiling of $7,500 per year (I think). I have also been using the payroll deduction plan for savings bonds.
With the pension, the 457 and the bonds, I am saving approx. 10.5% of gross pay per annum. I am planning on using the increase in my salary in 1999 to increase the amount I send to the 457.

I have had some trouble deciding how to allocate the money in the 457's available funds. I have searched the names of the funds as listed in the statements from the Hartford, the plan manager, but have not been able to find information on all of them.
I have money going in equal amounts into Janus 20 and American Century: Twentieth Century Ultra. The plan also offers a general fixed rate account, to which I send a small portion of the money (20%). My other choices include Hartford Index fund, and other various Hartford and other accounts, divided into growth or growth and income.

1. Should I send all the funds to one account, or continue to divide up the money?
2. Should I ditch the savings bonds and plow that money into the 457? (I suspect I will since the income is deferred for the 457 contributions and the savings bonds are bought with post-tax dollars).
3. Should I forgo the 457's general fixed rate account which is currently paying 6.05% and put all the money into one or more funds?

I am 40 years old, and will also in 15 years start paying for my daughter's college education. (which is where those savings bonds already purchased will probably go.) I am also beginning to invest in a few stocks as well, but am able to get more information on those items than I can find on many of the funds in the 457.

Thanks for any insight/advice.

Catharine
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement