UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Laura383 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: choosing a retirement plan Date: 3/5/2001 4:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,

We have finally paid off our credit card debt.

Now we are thinking about setting up a retirement plan. We are self-employed.

I have looked over various plans and I am thinking about a SEP, but I am also thinking about setting up a Roth IRA for each of us in addition. I am planning to just keep everything in index funds, probably Vanguard.

Does anyone have experience or opinions to offer?

Laura
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rjm1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28287 of 76418
Subject: Re: choosing a retirement plan Date: 3/5/2001 7:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Hi,

We have finally paid off our credit card debt.

Now we are thinking about setting up a retirement plan. We are self-employed.

I have looked over various plans and I am thinking about a SEP, but I am also thinking about setting up a Roth IRA for
each of us in addition. I am planning to just keep everything in index funds, probably Vanguard.

Does anyone have experience or opinions to offer?

Sounds good.

I like the SEP because you can put more in than an IRA.

I like the ROTH because all earnings are tax free.

Max out the ROTH them go to the SEP

Author: jrr7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28296 of 76418
Subject: Re: choosing a retirement plan Date: 3/6/2001 9:58 AM
The thing is, having multiple accounts means more paperwork, more headaches, and probably more costs.

You can combine both your personal IRA and your company retirement plan in the same account by using the SEP-IRA. The SEP-IRA makes contributions into your Traditional IRA account. Unfortunately under current tax law you can't do this with a Roth.

Be aware of Vanguard's low balance fees: $10 if your balance in an index fund is below $10,000 and an additional $10 if your balance is below $5,000.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement