Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Chopec, thanks for your response. I just tried the link and it worked for me. I know these things can be tempermental though, so I'll try to paste in a copy of the body of the text below.

I don't think you have to have had some experience with this problem to know it exists, but you may be right that some experience with it or something similar might help.

I just thought someone might have knowledge of research, or at least offer a few tips on where I might start looking for info on such a topic. I have tried a few searching a few terms online.

It is a rather controversial area. I was just thinking that if silicylates are the problem, their volume might be much higher in vegetarians than meat-eaters, making vegetarians more likely to be sensitive to aspirin side-effects.

Here's that copy of the piece:

"Salicylates in foods
Nutrition Research Newsletter, June, 1997
The presence of salicylates in foods is of interest for two reasons. First, the consumption of salicylates has been suspected of contributing to hyperactivity in children. Second, intake of acetylsalicylate (aspirin) in quantities as low as 30 mg/day has been shown to have a pronounced anti-thrombotic effect and may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and colon cancer.

It has been hypothesized that an increase in the intake of dietary salicylates may have contributed to the decline in cardiovascular mortality in the United States in recent decades. However, this review by researchers in The Netherlands indicates that the actual amounts of acetylsalicylate and other salicylates present in foods are too low to influence disease risk.

Data on the salicylate content of foods are scarce and contradictory. Analyses performed in the mid-1980s suggested that the amount of salicylates in foods was substantial -- perhaps as much as 90-125 mg/day from a mixed diet. Experts now believe that the methods used in these analyses did not adequately separate salicylates from other substances. More recent analyses using newer methods indicate that a normal mixed diet provides only 0-6 mg of salicylates daily. Even if all of this was in the form of acetylsalicylate (which is unlikely), intakes at this level would still be too low to affect disease risk. Such low levels of salicylates would also be unlikely to affect behavior.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement