Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Chris has the basics correct.

You will file NJ1040NR with New Jersey. You will report your income from everywhere in column A and leave column B (income from NJ) blank. Report the NJ withholdings on the appropriate line.

Get a letter from your employer attesting to the fact that you worked in GA all year and did not work in NJ. Attach a copy of the letter to your NJ return (This will save time if NJ decides to review your return.)

As always, keep copies of everything you send to the state.

You should get your entire withholdings back.

IMPORTANT: You want to do this ASAP, because you probably owe GA money for the withholdings that went to NJ. You can "wait" on your GA return until 4/16 to see if you get your NJ refund first.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.