Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 195816  
Subject: Christian of the week Date: 10/9/2012 2:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
http://gma.yahoo.com/mom-glued-daughters-hands-wall-faces-li...

A Texas mother who grew frustrated with her 2-year-old daughter's slow progress in potty training faces life in prison today for gluing the girl's hands to a wall and beating her, leaving her in a coma. Elizabeth Escalona, 23, pleaded guilty in July to injury to a child for the 2011 incident in which she was accused of kicking the girl in the stomach, hitting her, and gluing her hands to a wall, according to ABC News affiliate WFAA.

The girl was in a coma for two days and in the hospital for a week.

"I have no comment and only God can judge me. That's all I got to say," Escalona said in July, after entering her plea.

Straight from Proverbs:

23:13 Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.
23:14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

So much for Christians not beating people.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Mark12547 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183340 of 195816
Subject: Re: Christian of the week Date: 10/9/2012 3:58 AM
Recommendations: 0
I didn't see anything in the article that would have me conclude that the woman that did the terrible deed was a Christian. And taking two verses out of Proverbs without balancing it with other verses doesn't prove that harming young children is the Christian method of raising children.

Author: JavaRunner Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183341 of 195816
Subject: Re: Christian of the week Date: 10/9/2012 6:20 AM
Recommendations: 3
I didn't see anything in the article that would have me conclude that the woman that did the terrible deed was a Christian.
=======================================================================

Well typically when someone says only God will judge them, they aren't an Atheist. Since God is prevalent in Christianity, Judaism and Islam, she could be a member of any of those three.

Charlie

Author: lhaselden Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183342 of 195816
Subject: Re: Christian of the week Date: 10/9/2012 10:17 AM
<<
Well typically when someone says only God will judge them, they aren't an Atheist. Since God is prevalent in Christianity, Judaism and Islam, she could be a member of any of those three.

Charlie
>>

There are other religions that have a god or gods other than those 3!

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183347 of 195816
Subject: Re: Christian of the week Date: 10/9/2012 11:39 AM
Recommendations: 2

Well typically when someone says only God will judge them, they aren't an Atheist. Since God is prevalent in Christianity, Judaism and Islam, she could be a member of any of those three

anyone want bet she's not Christian?

what are the odds? in Texas...
with her name...

if she were Muslim, it would be the led:
Muslim woman glues daughter to wall

Author: RayKinsella Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183348 of 195816
Subject: Re: Christian of the week Date: 10/9/2012 11:53 AM
Recommendations: 1
if she were Muslim, it would be the led:
Muslim woman glues daughter to wall

But it is on this board, so the lead is that she's a Christian.
Ray

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183353 of 195816
Subject: Re: Christian of the week Date: 10/9/2012 1:28 PM
Republican candidate Fuqua endorses death penalty for rebellious children

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2012/10/08/rep...

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183361 of 195816
Subject: Re: Christian of the week Date: 10/9/2012 6:54 PM
Recommendations: 7
For what it's worth:

The mother was 23. According to this article:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/08/justice/texas-mother-sentencin...
She already had three other children and was pregnant yet again. If I'm counting correctly, that would be her fifth pregnancy at a minimum.

And since the article says her 3 other children witnessed the abuse of the 2-almost-3-year-old, I'd guess the other children are older. 1-year-olds don't "witness" much.

She's just a winner all the way around.

But, yeah, only God can judge her. Except the JUDGE of course. Who hopefully gives her the 45 years the prosecution is requesting.

Frydaze1

P.S. Her mother is 42. Which tells you she was also very young when she had her daughter, this lovely specimen. Does this article not show clearly why providing free birth control might be a good and MORAL decision?

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183363 of 195816
Subject: Re: Christian of the week Date: 10/9/2012 7:05 PM
Does this article not show clearly why providing free birth control might be a good and MORAL decision?

Well, it does to you and me.
However, to the sick minds in this country it's all about controlling women and controlling sex. It's about making them suffer. Because we all know that suffering is so good for women, especially.

AM

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183364 of 195816
Subject: Re: Christian of the week Date: 10/9/2012 7:46 PM
Does this article not show clearly why providing free birth control might be a good and MORAL decision?

And the health education in school to know why it's needed, and how to use it. Abstinence-only education is a miserable failure. All the data shows it. (i.e. hard data, not just this particular anecdote)

Author: Beridian Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183365 of 195816
Subject: Re: Christian of the week Date: 10/9/2012 7:59 PM
Recommendations: 4
P.S. Her mother is 42. Which tells you she was also very young when she had her daughter, this lovely specimen. Does this article not show clearly why providing free birth control might be a good and MORAL decision?

Well said. This is the reality we are living in. Children growing up in dysfunctional homes and becoming parents themselves. Monsters begetting monsters, exponentially.

What is to be done? Well birth control is one cheap and easy approach. The state should pay woman such as this to take birth control! It would be cheaper in the long run, and much less traumatic on the victimized children. We also need better over-site from social services, but this requires staffing and money. The fallout from the downsizing of government is abused children.

This little girl will likely grow up and do the same thing, maybe worse without intense intervention. We are not a stupid people, we have the ability to solve problems such as this, it's just not a priority, after all, these people are getting what they deserve right?

Meanwhile the religious right is shouting about abortion. I wonder how Jesus would feel about this.

Author: jimialvin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183367 of 195816
Subject: Re: Christian of the week Date: 10/9/2012 11:26 PM
I think the balancing act for the two verses previously entered can be found in Proverbs as well . From Proverbs 22:6 *** Train up a child in the way he should go : and when he is old , he will not depart from it . The idea from the wordtrain is to live your life before your child in such a way as to provide quality instruction . Though I am not opposed to corporal punishment , it is clear that the Texas Mom went too far and acted out in frustration .

... James ....

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183484 of 195816
Subject: Re: Christian of the week Date: 10/12/2012 1:15 PM
Sentencing is over for this woman who couldn't handle toilet training her toddler. She's been sentenced to 99 years:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57531402-504083/eliza...

I know the first article I read said that the prosecution was requesting 45 years. I wonder how often someone's sentence is worse than even the prosecution is asking for.

Police records show Escalona's other children told authorities she kicked Jocelyn in the stomach and hit her with a jug in September 2011.

Frydaze1

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183843 of 195816
Subject: Re: Christian of the week Date: 10/26/2012 4:24 PM
And taking two verses out of Proverbs without balancing it with other verses doesn't prove that harming young children is the Christian method of raising children.
I don't know about that. Most of the Christians I run into, when I express displeasure at 'spanking' children, usually quote, "Spare the rod, spoil the child," as their excuse for beating kids.

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183844 of 195816
Subject: Re: Christian of the week Date: 10/26/2012 4:25 PM
anyone want bet she's not Christian?

what are the odds? in Texas...
with her name...
No way would I place that bet! And more than likely, with that name, she's Catholic or was raised Catholic.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement