Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 445012  
Subject: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/13/2012 4:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Save the church! (kill the organs)

“Who plays the organ anymore when they’re not trying to scare someone?” asks a post on YouTube, and the answer is, frighteningly enough, practically every Catholic parish [and Protestant church]. Despite the fact that the most recognizable organ music, Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D minor, opens the film “Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde,” the pipe organ remains the central instrument, besides the human voice, of Christian worship. It endures not because anyone particularly likes organ music (there’s none on iTunes’s top singles this week, and, I’m betting, none on your iPod), but simply because it’s there. Usually ensconced in the balcony of a church, an organ is too heavy to move and too expensive to burn, so we might as well play the thing, no matter how many young people we’re scaring away.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2012/10/24/revitalize-cat...

Takes them Christians a while to wise up to most anything; let's hope not to many read this heresy.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412922 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/13/2012 4:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Just the other day I saw John Paul Jones playing organ with Led Zep on the big screen in a sold-out movie theater. Playing the bass pedals with his cowboy boots, no less.

Author: JamesBrown Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412926 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/13/2012 5:07 PM
Walt Disney used Bach's Toccata to open his wonderful film Fantasia, and it wasn't scary at all.

But yeah, when most people hear it--particularly that first measure--they think of TV commercials for "Halloween savings on all your favorite name brands!" and old Vincent Price movies.

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412941 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/13/2012 8:11 PM
Recommendations: 1
They'll always have a place.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4g-wx2Y_wg

Author: Ziege19 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412943 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/13/2012 8:22 PM
Despite the fact that the most recognizable organ music, Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D minor, opens the film “Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde,” the pipe organ remains the central instrument, besides the human voice, of Christian worship. It endures not because anyone particularly likes organ music (there’s none on iTunes’s top singles this week, and, I’m betting, none on your iPod), but simply because it’s there. Usually ensconced in the balcony of a church, an organ is too heavy to move and too expensive to burn, so we might as well play the thing, no matter how many young people we’re scaring away.

I think Faure's Requiem is one of the more beautiful pieces of music ever written, despite being both religious and featuring the organ.

And lots of Doors on ipods.

More seriously, though, I think she's being pretty insulting to young people here. For one thing, I think the feeble attempts of old churchy people to try luring young people in with pained efforts to seem modern and cool it is a far bigger turnoff than a more authentic old-style experience. Ugh. Also, most people don't go home and download church hymns to their itunes anyway, even if they are more modern and feature guitar. I think she's being pretty condescending and dismissive of young people when she acts like they decide on their metaphysical beliefs based on how the music sounds in church on Sunday.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412944 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/13/2012 8:43 PM
I think she's being pretty condescending and dismissive of young people when she acts like they decide on their metaphysical beliefs based on how the music sounds in church on Sunday.

Disagree. Churches are involved in marketing, no less than other businesses.

They built grand cathedrals to impress the ignorant, the same way banks used to build big granite buildings with Corinthian columns out front as if to say "We're stable." They add stained glass windows to show how God loves them, and cloak their CEO's in robes of gold and silver to demonstrate how successful they are, no differently than other CEO's drive around in Jaguars and keep corporate yachts in the harbor.

The music is all part of the mix. At one point the organ was grand and glorious, but it has taken on an old, musty flavor of late, which is why so many churches added "folk mass" and occasionally "rock mass" or similar in the 70's and 80's. That's called "refreshing the product" or "giving it a facelift." The Catholic church decided - after 1000 years - that maybe they should speak English (or Spanish, or whatever was appropriate) instead of a language which has been dead for a millenium, and they've even added parking lots and air conditioning and youth groups and camping experiences and raffles and bingo games and a hundred other things that would bewilder Jesus if he ever saw.

The big church organ isn't hip. It isn't contemporary. And while there's a place for tradition, when you're playing bagpipes but everybody wants to hear the Stones, you're probably not going to get a lot of converts. Ever heard a Christian radio station? Notice a lot of organ music? Didn't think so.

Anyway, I thought the piece was funny - and spot on. I never really thought of it, but the droning cacophony of the church organ is so wildly out of date, yet somehow irreplaceable. Funny how that works.

(Mom was the church organist. Had a couple years' worth of lessons myself, back in a different life.)

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412949 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/13/2012 10:09 PM
But yeah, when most people hear it--particularly that first measure--they think of TV commercials for "Halloween savings on all your favorite name brands!" and old Vincent Price movies.

I think of the Phantom of the Opera. Not the Lon Chaney version. It was B/W, but still a "talkie". Maybe 1940s? Nelson Eddy doesn't sound right, but Claude Rains might be.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036261/

Author: Ziege19 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412950 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/13/2012 10:19 PM
Recommendations: 2
The big church organ isn't hip. It isn't contemporary. And while there's a place for tradition, when you're playing bagpipes but everybody wants to hear the Stones, you're probably not going to get a lot of converts. Ever heard a Christian radio station? Notice a lot of organ music? Didn't think so.

Church organ music isn't hip, but have you seen any of their horrifying attempts at making church music "cool"? Remember the Christian Side Hug? They are the epitome of lame, and most kids know they are being condescended to when its tried on them.

I think the draw is an accepting community that fosters a sense of belonging, support and togetherness. Catholic churches don't have that because they've been preaching the inferiority of 57% of the population and the evils of sex. And running a child molester support network. It ain't the organs. I really think the idea that young people would be willing to turn on their gay friends, and young women would be more likely to accept their role as chattel, if the church would just get a better soundtrack is really selling a lot of kids short.

Author: NailThatJello Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412958 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/14/2012 2:26 AM
The only part of mass I used to enjoy as a kid, was the organ music. The guitar era was lame in comparison.

The kneeling bits sucked the most.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412967 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/14/2012 10:14 AM
Remember the Christian Side Hug?

I'm afraid I just don't move in Christian circles.
Could you please explain what the heck a "side hug" is?

AM

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412969 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/14/2012 10:21 AM
Recommendations: 3
Children (probably adults as well) should not hug each other face-t0-face lest there be some suggestion or possibility of the "naughty" parts coming in to close proximity of each other, even if covered by several layers of clothing. The only safe way to hug someone is standing side-by-side and putting your arm around their shoulders for a brief squeeze. My problem with this of course is that, at least for large breasted women, there is still the possiblity, nay, the liklihood, that some of that succulent adipose chest tissue may sqoosh up against the side-ribs of the hug recipient. Oh the horror!!! Ban all hugging - it's the only way we can make the world safe for Christians.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412970 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/14/2012 10:24 AM
Nothing compared to the horror of the music video...gotta love the machine gunning at the end (too bad they weren't real).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa0EtdtPi8w

OMFG...

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412971 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/14/2012 10:26 AM
P.S. Just for the record I like a lot of organ music. I even like plain chant and Hildegard de Bingen and yes I have it on my ipod.

Best plain chant ever:

http://www.amazon.com/Grunt-Pigorian-Chant-Snouto-Domoinko/d...

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412974 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/14/2012 10:31 AM
Children (probably adults as well) should not hug each other face-t0-face lest there be some suggestion or possibility of the "naughty" parts coming in to close proximity of each other, even if covered by several layers of clothing. The only safe way to hug someone is standing side-by-side and putting your arm around their shoulders for a brief squeeze. My problem with this of course is that, at least for large breasted women, there is still the possiblity, nay, the liklihood, that some of that succulent adipose chest tissue may sqoosh up against the side-ribs of the hug recipient. Oh the horror!!! Ban all hugging - it's the only way we can make the world safe for Christians.

Oy. Now THAT is sick.

AM

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412978 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/14/2012 11:17 AM
Recommendations: 4
I thought this thread was going to be about something else.

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412981 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/14/2012 11:45 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about something else.

Well, what're you waiting for? Make it so!

Personally, I don't think they need their brains. Free-will is for atheists and other secular deviants.

--FY

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412983 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/14/2012 11:56 AM
Personally, I don't think they need their brains.

Maybe slang has changed but I wasn't thinking of brains either. Unless of course you were talking about them not needing their penises.

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412994 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/14/2012 12:59 PM
Unless of course you were talking about them not needing their penises.

I have only to ask, and you make it so! Bravo! ;-)

--FY

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412996 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/14/2012 1:28 PM

My {christian} SIL accused me of wanting to have sex with her when I gave her a real hug.

Count Upp

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412999 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/14/2012 2:09 PM
My {christian} SIL accused me of wanting to have sex with her when I gave her a real hug.

Amazing how warped some theists are.

I'd almost certainly get myself in trouble in that situation. First two responses that came to my mind were:

"Don't flatter yourself, dear."

and

"We'd have to wait until he dies because I wouldn't want to hurt him."

1poorguy (not very diplomatic)

Author: Ziege19 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413006 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/14/2012 2:55 PM
I'm afraid I just don't move in Christian circles.
Could you please explain what the heck a "side hug" is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa0EtdtPi8w

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413007 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/14/2012 2:59 PM
LOL! That's enough to make you want to pull out a pistol and blow your brains out. :)

AM

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413008 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/14/2012 2:59 PM

I want to have sex with her.

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413023 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/14/2012 6:05 PM

I want to have sex with her.

Be my guest!

CU

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413032 of 445012
Subject: Re: Christian urged to kill their organs Date: 11/14/2012 9:10 PM
Organ?

4 words:

Lee Michaels and Frosty!

YKWIM?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WMwenDs5U0

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement