Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Amphian Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3723  
Subject: Re: ... Date: 7/11/2001 3:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Christianity is still a prescriptive religion rather than a facilitative path.

Absolutely. I think you can use Christianity to find you own way, but it's heavily discouraged by the churches.

Over all, I think your conjecture is very right on. The one nitpicking I would say is that when christianity (or any other philosophy / religion) really was beneficial in helping people find their 'path' is before it became ORGANIZED. As soon as you introduce formal organization you begin to lose your way. I think this is true of all religions, including the pagan religions. I think it is less so for most pagan religions, but as soon as you start 'organizing' your spirituality you start losing your spirituality.

I think the problem is less the organization than the assignment of someone else to make your spiritual decisions for you. Can you imagine everyone on one of the investment philosophy boards choosing a leader to make all of the investment decisions for everyone on the board? You might be able to debate and explore options, but once the official leader decides about a particular stock, everyone on the board obeys. No one would be willing to let all their financial decisions be dictated by another person. Why are they willing to let someone else tell them how to live their spiritual lives?

Amphian
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement