Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 330  
Subject: Christmas Tree Shops Date: 8/2/2007 10:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Being from MA, I was very excited to see the building and opening of a Christmas Tree Shop not 10 miles from my home in PA. These stores develop a bit of a cult phenomena. Learning that they had been bought by BBBY, I was not expecting much of the same old store. Indeed, changes have been made...perhaps to the better.

There is definitely more merchandise than I remember at CTS, some of it the crappy 89 cent toys that simply never work. The furniture department has some pretty cool stuff for the price. I walked in with no needs in mind and walked out with $55 worth. This is not usual for me, but I feel good about my purchases and it's value. The staff was pleasant and excited to be there, and the store was relatively well organized.

One of my complaints about the store is the sheer overwhelming amount and variety of things, but in reality this is also one of the good things about the store as you never know what you will find. It will be interesting over time to see how much the stock varies, or if the purchase by BBBY will cause the traditional bargain hunting MO of these stores to disappear. I can't help but think it will be a great outlet for BBBY's clearance items. It was well organized, with each item being in it's own place and not in several places within the store, something I hate about the BBBY stores.

The employee I talked to mentioned that surprisingly, given the DE location of this store and the fact it had opened only very recently, many customers had mentioned experiencing and being passionate about the old CTS on Cape Cod. There were a good number of shoppers in the store, and most people had rather full carts. CTS only seem to be in the north east at this time, and I can't help but wonder at the opportunity that exists for BBBY to expand to the rest of the US. It's enough for us to start to look at the stock.

Any thing we should be considering?

Best,

IP
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Microsoft Admits Defeat and Wins?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement