UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61164  
Subject: Re: Just Another Of Life's Little Ironies Date: 1/28/2012 2:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
Churchy says

My wife and I are grandfathered under California's Proposition 13, which set a maximum property tax of 1% of value (based on home prices in 1975/1976) with a maximum allowable increase of 2% (well under the inflation rate in the last 35 years). Other than the 2% rise, the only way a house will be taxed a higher amount is if the house is sold, in which case the new owner would be paying 1% of the actual purchase price in property taxes.

There's a home for sale just up the street with an asking price of $741K. I have no idea how long the current owner has been in the house, but I do know that the next buyer will be paying around over $7000/year (depending on actual sales price, naturally). Ours wouldn't fetch that much, but given that it's a 2BR, 1.5BA, that's not surprising.

I was once in your position, and then we hadda go and buy another house. Boom! Well, we knew what we were doing and did it anyway, and the old house, blessed by the magic of Prop. 13, just wasn't big enough as our little girl got bigger.

I'm not sorry we moved, but man oh man, Prop 13 had to be the biggest con job ever pulled on the California middle class. The big landowners in the industrial parks and agribusiness acreages are still laughing their asses off.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement