UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: awlabrador Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65779  
Subject: Cinema Display HD Date: 12/11/2012 6:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've got an Apple 23" Cinema Display HD (the old aluminum model, with DVI) that seems to have died last night when my APC UPS went nuts and started hissing. At least, the UPS started hissing when I came back, the Mac was off though the external drives were on, and the monitor was dark. Fearing a catastrophic UPS failure and lead acid leak, I disconnected everything and carefully removed the battery (with hand and eye protection on), finding the battery still well sealed. (Yes, I know the batteries are supposed to be spill-proof, but when I heard that hissing sound, I wasn't taking chances.)

When I went home for lunch, I reconnected the UPS battery, and the UPS was behaving normally. I reconnected everything and booted up, and everything came back up except the monitor. I was able to log in via screen sharing from an old PowerBook in order to shut down gracefully, and then retried starting up in various ways. The monitor refused to turn on.

I remember having a similar problem at the beginning of the year when I was attaching a KVM switch to my setup, and I eventually got the monitor to start up, so I'm holding out hope that I can get it running again -- how, I don't know.

Any suggestions? I don't recall the Cinema Displays being finicky, so I assume it's really dead, like a burnt out backlight or power supply. I hope it didn't fry my Mac mini video circuitry.

I don't want to spend gobs of money on a new Apple monitor, at least not now. I'm thinking of bringing it in to an Apple authorized repair place rather than the Apple Store, and if their repair time runs long, I might buy a super-cheap monitor from Best Buy to tide me over for an important job-related task. Or hook it up to the television in my bedroom.

-awlabrador
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JohnMMM Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61653 of 65779
Subject: Re: Cinema Display HD Date: 12/11/2012 7:29 PM
The UPS likely was not responsible for the monitor failure, but I thought I'd add a comment regarding aging UPS devices.

My 5-yr-old APC 650W UPS no longer could keep the Mac Pro & 21" Acer monitor running even for a short time upon loss of power.

I removed the twin lead-acid batteries and took them to a local industrial battery dealer for replacement.

I asked the guy how long one could expect such batteries to last under typical conditions, i.e. 24/7 operation with only rare outages.

He said to install new ones every 3 years if you want to be safe.

FWIW...

J

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61654 of 65779
Subject: Re: Cinema Display HD Date: 12/11/2012 7:47 PM

My battery guy said 5, and I was already a year past that sell by date, so I replaced them. Simple job, really. Cost an arm and leg to do six of them at once, though. (Have the TiVo's on them, too.)

Author: awlabrador Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61655 of 65779
Subject: Re: Cinema Display HD Date: 12/12/2012 1:30 AM

Yeah, I think that's roughly about the interval at which I replace my APC UPS batteries. Mine have indicators and really annoying buzzers going off periodically when the UPS thinks it's time to replace them. My last battery was from ABC -- American Battery Company -- not APC, but it was cheaper on Amazon than the APC battery from APC's web site, and compatible. Still, I wasn't happy to get a battery that wasn't the same as the image (an APC battery), and others had complained, as well. For whatever reason I don't remember, I kept it, and it seems to have worked.

Back to my Apple 23" Cinema Display HD, I seem to have revived it. Back when I got my KVM switch, I kept plugging things in and taking things out until, seemingly at random, it worked. So, I tried it again. Others on Apple's community forums have reported that plugging and unplugging the power supply eventually got theirs working again. I reasoned there must be something in the power brick that needs to be deliberately discharged, so I shorted the power prongs together and left it a short while. When I plugged it in, the monitor started working again. I repeated the experiment by unplugging it and then failing to get it to work until after I shorted the power again.

I'm not saying that shorting the prongs was the cure. I don't have a circuit diagram to see if it's likely. It's voodoo. But I'm not going to do any more experiments, since it works now.

-awlabrador

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61663 of 65779
Subject: Re: Cinema Display HD Date: 12/13/2012 12:33 PM
Apple Cinema Displays have batteries in them?? I have a 30" display, circa 2007-2008.

Birgit

Author: awlabrador Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61665 of 65779
Subject: Re: Cinema Display HD Date: 12/13/2012 12:46 PM
Recommendations: 1
No, we were discussing UPS batteries. It came up because my system went dead -- and put my monitor in a coma -- at the same time the UPS started making a scary hissing noise.

-awlabrador

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement