Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: irina39 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121572  
Subject: Re: Salaried & no-deductions = SOL? Date: 8/30/2001 2:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
cIRCitmage:

My answer would be real estate. Depending.

First of all, wow, you are in an enviable financial situation. Most aren't so lucky. If only I had such issues. Now to your question:

The only remaining tax deduction of consequence [other than children and lets not go there] is the home mortgage deduction. There are a lot of plusses and minuses to owning a home and/or a second home.

Having the ability to itemize using the power of the home mortgage deduction gives me [SE and salaried both] to throw in a lot of expenses/deductions on my sched A that normally I would not get because I could not hit the threshold above the standard deduction...

That said, owning a house can be a pain in the *&^%$#$%^. Renting a home to others can be a DOUBLE *&^%$%^&*#$. Owning a 2d [vacation] home where you spend 2 weeks can be relaxing, helpful and annoying.

I own a home for other reasons than just the tax deduction, that is, for a place where I don't hear people above me or on one side or the other among them... Before you consider home purchase, consider the maintenance taxes, etc, BUT also the intangibles... a place of your own...

Rental Income can be quite a moneymaker, you get to deduct interest and depreciation. Again, look into it before jumping into the deep water...

Is there a place where you would like to retire/visit-purchase a vacation home. You may be able to rent that [no you are NOT going to be able to come out even on the mortgage,etc]...

No where here did I mention timeshare [or points or whatever], run from those sinkholes...

Do you have the type of job where you could even utilize a home or vacation home [now or 5 years?] If not, stay where you are.

Finally, there are MANY good arguments to renting ... however, the majority of people with homes [not land] increase their net worth vis a vis people who rent.

Well, that was a tome.

Hope it gives you food for thought,

Irina

PS As a fellow NYCer, its a bit of an eye -opener when YOU have to fix the clogged drain or leaking pipe. No management company to call. Keep that in mind as well...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement