Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I live outside the city limits , so even though my income is derived from inside the city limits ,I have never had to pay city taxes . Now that I own rental property inside the city I am told I must pay city income tax on the profit from the rentals. Can this be true ? I dont understand the difference in income from my job and income from the rentals . both incomes are from inside the city and both go to me outside the city . Why would one be exempt and the other not ?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.