UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jammerh Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 181  
Subject: Re: Bombardier a rule maker? Date: 1/14/2002 3:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
cjdking, yes Bombardier IS definitely a Rulemaker. I like your thinking. I've been following the company since the 80's and have a large, long-term position in it. The stock has doubled and split for me four (4) times since 1989 giving me my first 10-bagger.

It is an excellent company. Well-managed, very innovative (12 new jets
in as many years). It is a leader in the Regional Jet market, and in
business jets, and fractional jet-share plans.

The company reeks of quality in everything it does. It employs the Sigma-six program of quality control which benchmarks everything and
works to cut costs, and increase quality and customer satisfaction.
There are several new books out on the Six Sigma concept if you are interested in this aspect. This is the program used by the likes of
GE, and Johnson & Johnson and others and it has been very successful
in its objectives.

The company continuously improves production quality/innovatiaon for which it has numerous international awards.

I like the company because it is an innovator, and it is a leader. Management is the best in the world according to AviationWeek (see
Aug 2000 ed). This year the company came in a close second only to General Dynamics (Gulfstream).

You just have to look at the dynamic growth in passenger seat miles to
realize how popular regional jets are. Demand at Atlantic Coast Airlines
for example is up a whopping 74% last month over last year. Atlantic
is a big customer of Bombardier.

RJ's aren't going away either. Their growth curve is different from that
of larger commercial jets. Pilot union's scope clauses have held demand
down artificially in the past, but this should change as airlines struggle to survive and reduce costs. RJ's are much more efficient.
Pilots should eventually realize that the increased traffic afforded by
the advent of RJ's is helping increase air traffic for the majors, not
take it away. Scope clauses will crumble. Demand for the quieter, cleaner, smoother, more flexible, more comfortable, and more efficient RJ's will soar.

Things can get quite rough though from time to time. Be prepared for
a little turbulance, and your perserverence will pay off.

Jammerh

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement