No. of Recommendations: 0
Cjones 38 asks:

I have an IRA rollover from a 401-k. Both are/were with T R Price. I have 3 equity funds. The forms to convert to self-directed IRA says I cannot transfer my funds (to their discount brokerage). I must first cash out what I want and place it with their discount bokerage which will go into a money market fund. Of course, I could then buy those same funds through their broker. This doesn't make sense to me. Question: Can I make a direct transfer to another broker of part of an IRA or do I have to transfer all of the IRA (to another broker)? Also is this their house rules or an IRA rule?

I know of no legal reason that prevents you from converting mutual funds in a traditional IRA to the same mutual funds in a Roth IRA. IMHO the problem you have encountered is something imposed by the broker. Perhaps another would be more accommodating.


Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.