UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: CAMPCITY CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75696  
Subject: Re: Roth vs. Traditional IRA Date: 11/1/2003 7:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
CK,
There are a couple of ways to look at it..........

A Roth contribution is made with after tax money and does not benefit your tax liability for your 60K paycheck. However, the principle you contribute and the earnings are not taxed when withdrawn provided you are 59 & 1/2 and have had the account open for 5 years.

Traditional IRA contributions are made with pre-tax contributions and lowers your tax liability on your 60K i.e., if you contribute $3000 to a traditional IRA this year you will be taxed on 57K. But, Uncle Sam is not one to be denied forever! When you are old and grey and begin to withdraw a traditional IRA, the withdrawal is taxed as income.

If I were 29 years old and qualified for a Roth (hopefully in the future you will make too much money to qualify)and had about 30 years to accumulate tax free forever earnings I would go for the Roth! Imagine starting your retirement with maybe $750,000 tax free money! That is if you invest Foolishly for the next 30 years.

For a full discussion of IRAs go to: http://www.fool.com/money/allaboutiras/allaboutiras03.htm

Good Luck,
campcity
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Back to the Future Buffalo Wild Wings
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement