Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This was a question that came up at book club:

Parent 1 claimed child as dependent in odd numbered years

Parent 2 claimed child as dependent in even numbered years

The year the child turned 18 and graduated and child support ended on 18th birthday, both parents claimed child as he became full time college student.

The year was an even year but parent 2 did not provide support other than partial year child support and some college funds.

Which parent was in error claiming the child? No one had the answer. I suggested a tax preparer be consulted.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.