Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: firstian Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121185  
Subject: Claiming Cap. Loss Date: 12/8/1997 10:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I have a question about claiming capital loss from a stock investment. I bought 400 share some stock at $25 13 months ago. I bought another 400 at $18 10 months ago. Now the stock is at $10 and I would like to sell a portion of the 800 shares to claim some loss. I have no other capital gain in my return this year. How do I calculate the cost basis of the stock if, say, I sell 200 shares?

Thanks,

Joe
Print the post Back To Top
Author: KATinChicagoland Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 853 of 121185
Subject: Re: Claiming Cap. Loss Date: 12/9/1997 1:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
<<I have a question about claiming capital loss from a stock investment. I bought 400 share some stock at $25 13 months ago. I bought another 400 at $18 10 months ago. Now the stock is at $10 and I would like to sell a portion of the 800 shares to claim some loss. I have no other capital gain in my return this year. How do I calculate the cost basis of the stock if, say, I sell 200 shares?>>

Unless you specify otherwise, the tax law will assume that the first shares you sell are the first shares you acquired. This is probably the result you want, because your older shares have a higher basis. A sale of 200 shares at $10 will produce the $3,000 loss you're looking for.

If you were in the opposite situation (older shares with lower basis), you would want to identify the shares you are selling. I believe Roy has a FAQ on this issue.

KAT in Chicagoland

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 859 of 121185
Subject: Re: Claiming Cap. Loss Date: 12/9/1997 3:32 PM
<<I have a question about claiming capital loss from a stock investment. I bought 400 share some
stock at $25 13 months ago. I bought another 400 at $18 10 months ago. Now the stock is at $10
and I would like to sell a portion of the 800 shares to claim some loss. I have no other capital gain
in my return this year. How do I calculate the cost basis of the stock if, say, I sell 200 shares?>>

Joe...

KAT provided you with the "right on" answer in all respects. If, for whatever reason, you DO want to specify the other lower basis ($18) shares, you might be able to do so (but, as KAT points out, I'm not sure why you would want to do so).

Check out my Frequently Asked Question on "Specifying Stock" in the Fools School area and you'll get a flavor for what is involved if you want to specify shares rather than using the FIFO (first in-first out) method.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Author: KATinChicagoland Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868 of 121185
Subject: Re: Claiming Cap. Loss Date: 12/10/1997 8:15 AM
<<If, for whatever reason, you DO want to specify the other lower basis ($18) shares, you might be able to do so (but, as KAT points out, I'm not sure why you would want to do so).>>

Might want to generate a short-term loss carryover (the higher basis shares were held long-term). Wouldn't matter for this year because no other gains or losses, but for next year could be better. But the original question indicated only an interest in generating a $3,000 loss for the current year.

KAT in Chicagoland

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870 of 121185
Subject: Re: Claiming Cap. Loss Date: 12/10/1997 4:08 PM
<<<If, for whatever reason, you DO want to specify the other lower basis ($18) shares, you might be able to do so (but, as KAT points out, I'm not sure why you would want to do so).>>

Might want to generate a short-term loss carryover (the higher basis shares were held long-term). Wouldn't matter for this year because no other gains or losses, but for next year could be better. But the original question indicated only an interest in generating a $3,000 loss for the current year.?

Similar for me. I wanted to generate a $3000 tax loss, but wanted to raise as much money as possible, so I sold the shares with the lowest capital loss (lowest in terms of absolute value). Later I should be able to sell few shares to get a larger capital loss if I need to.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement