Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My husband and I were separated end of August 1999.

Given that during 1999 I contributed nearly twice what he contributed in marital salary/wages to the upkeep of our marital home.

...And now find myself with the prospect of owing much more taxes than anticipated since my witholdings were based on parameters that are no longer.

Given that his first ex-wife (natural mother of the children) signed her rights to claim them as dependents over to him...

Given that we had the children an average of 16 days a month.

Can I claim them as dependents for 1999?
And if I legally can, what happens if we both claim them? (A real possibility since my not-soon-enough-to-be ex-husband and I don't talk.)

Thanks, fools!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.