Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tinakoz Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121565  
Subject: Claiming Ex's Kids as Dependents Date: 11/4/1999 1:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My husband and I were separated end of August 1999.

Given that during 1999 I contributed nearly twice what he contributed in marital salary/wages to the upkeep of our marital home.

...And now find myself with the prospect of owing much more taxes than anticipated since my witholdings were based on parameters that are no longer.

Given that his first ex-wife (natural mother of the children) signed her rights to claim them as dependents over to him...

Given that we had the children an average of 16 days a month.

Can I claim them as dependents for 1999?
And if I legally can, what happens if we both claim them? (A real possibility since my not-soon-enough-to-be ex-husband and I don't talk.)

Thanks, fools!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20513 of 121565
Subject: Re: Claiming Ex's Kids as Dependents Date: 11/4/1999 3:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Beware, I am not a lawyer or a CPA, and I don't even play one on TV. You want to read IRS Publication 501. I think the answer to your question is No, you can't claim them.

Here's my reasoning. While you and soon-to-be ex had the kids for more than half the time while you were living together, they are not your children. (I'm assuming you did not adopt them, and that you don't have them now.) How much money you made compared to stbx is irrelevant. So, now, you will not have provided more than half the support of the children. So, I think you fail the relationship test and also the support test.

But don't believe me. As I say, all I do is read the IRS publications.

I guess a larger question is whether it's worth fighting over the amount of money at stake. If you are wealthy, it's maybe 31% of $5500 if there are 2 children. If you were to win, how much of that would the lawyers get?

I had a friend who went through what started as an amicable divorce, but eventually they fought about who got the garden hose. It soured her disposition forever.

Author: hghcpa Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20518 of 121565
Subject: Re: Claiming Ex's Kids as Dependents Date: 11/4/1999 5:42 PM
Given that his first ex-wife (natural mother of the children) signed her rights to claim them as dependents over to him...
=========

Here IMHO is where he gotcha.

Under current law the custodial parent has the right to the dependency exemption unless that parent signs it over to the non-custodial parent.

If he files seperately and has the signed form from the first Ex he will be entitled to the exemptions.

Regardless of the support issues.

This change in the law IIRC was for divorces occurring after 1986.

Pete

Author: BobStL One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20528 of 121565
Subject: Re: Claiming Ex's Kids as Dependents Date: 11/4/1999 8:48 PM
Tina - you have the right advice on what to do BUT to
answer your question on a thing like this, here is what
really happens at filing time:
1. First Filer Wins - temporarily. Electronic filing
goes through for the first filer.
2. Second filer files electronically and finds that
kids SS#'s have been "used" and no deduction is allowed
3. Here is where it hits the fan - if Second filer is
legally entitled to take the deduction, they mail in
their return (it was electronically rejected)and proof of being able to take the deduction.
4. THE IRS MAKES THE CALL! And guess what? They are
going to go with the legal filer and the other guy/gal
is going to get the tax bill, and 30 days to pay. This may take several weeks to several months to get
"cleared up", but it WILL HAPPEN!

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20652 of 121565
Subject: Re: Claiming Ex's Kids as Dependents Date: 11/7/1999 9:55 PM
<<Under current law the custodial parent has the right to the dependency exemption unless that parent signs it over to the
non-custodial parent.

If he files seperately and has the signed form from the first Ex he will be entitled to the exemptions.

Regardless of the support issues.>>

Perfectly stated. And absolutely correct.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20653 of 121565
Subject: Re: Claiming Ex's Kids as Dependents Date: 11/7/1999 9:58 PM
<<Tina - you have the right advice on what to do BUT to
answer your question on a thing like this, here is what
really happens at filing time:
1. First Filer Wins - temporarily.>>

Perhaps temporarily. But in the long run, the person who is legally entitled to the exemptions will get them. The IRS computers will make sure of that. So why try to claim the exemption when you know it will eventually fail? And you'll owe more taxes, penalties, and interest? Why not just rob a bank and hope that you don't get caught?

TMF Taxes
Roy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement