Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ToddTruby Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 15585  
Subject: classifieds Date: 11/8/2001 10:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just went to place another ad on Yahoo classifieds and within the last week they no longer offer free ads!

I'm not sure if this is good or bad. Good as a source for revenue, but there will be much less selection and fewer people will go to the site to find things to buy.

I would think a very basic ad for a limited time for free would be good with lots of extras available for a fee...like pictures, links, more text space for description, etc.

tjt
Print the post Back To Top
Author: IFOOLYOU One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13748 of 15585
Subject: Re: classifieds Date: 11/9/2001 1:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
i just placed four free ads on yahoo classifieds. you probably misunderstood what they are offering. basically, you can still post free ads but they give you an option of a premium ad where your posting will get more visibility. that's all.

Author: justmoi Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13750 of 15585
Subject: Re: classifieds Date: 11/9/2001 9:14 AM
I posted a new classified yesterday & it was "free". I was offered a choice of premium ad at a nominal charge or the free 21 day ad.

Author: ToddTruby Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13751 of 15585
Subject: Re: classifieds Date: 11/9/2001 10:09 AM
I tried to place another ad yesterday and it was free for the basic ad. However, there are some categories that used to be free that no longer are. I tried to place another ad for a kayak for sale and only got the basic 9.95 ad or premium 19.95 ad. This used to free and included pictures and web links. Car ads are also no longer free even for a basic.

When browsing through these categories, there are far fewer selections which indicates not as many people are using the service for a fee. This also means fewer buyers of these items will be visiting the site to look because of the limited selection and the pay ads will not be as attractive since the potential buyer audience is reduced. Kind of a lose situation for everyone

Author: TechTock Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13757 of 15585
Subject: Re: classifieds Date: 11/11/2001 6:41 PM
yea I noticed that some areas have only paid ads. How did you come to the conclusion that there are far fewer categories than before?
i went to the site and could not notice difference till i went to post.
The charges are also very high (10$ or 15$ per ad) as opposed auctions which are few cents per listing

Author: ToddTruby Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13758 of 15585
Subject: Re: classifieds Date: 11/11/2001 7:14 PM
Not fewer categories, but fewer ads in the pay categories. Not that i would expect otherwise. Still not quite sure if the good this does for revenue will outweigh the lower listings and eyeballs.

Author: TechTock Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13761 of 15585
Subject: Re: classifieds Date: 11/12/2001 2:40 AM
ACtually, I disagree. I looked at car classifieds, in which there is no free option. Now i go to the site and search for ads, I find a lot of cars in san francisco bayarea. may be some areas i don't find any..
but i can find a cars in LA area too
I don't see the listings going down. For example, it shows that there are 30,000+ cars in san francisco bayarea, which at the rate $15/ad/month would mean a lot of revenue. Now It could be that the dealers who post here get a bulk rate. But even if they had only 100,000 cars nationwide at 10$/ad/month ($120/year) that is $12M/year
not bad..

anyone know anything about used car market size etc?

Author: ToddTruby Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13762 of 15585
Subject: Re: classifieds Date: 11/12/2001 6:03 AM
The dealers were paying for car ads previously. How many private listings did you see? For all of florida I found very few. I used to use the advertised prices for cars as a sounding board on how to price a car I had for sale...now I find almost all dealers..not very reasonable for comparison.

tt

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement