UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: vnr214 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37183  
Subject: cleaning dvd's Date: 8/31/2007 9:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
any suggestoins for cleaning dvd's that have been left out and gotten crud on them?

someone i know suggested washing them with dawn dish detergent. anyone have experience with that?

tia

-vik-
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Chopec Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21890 of 37183
Subject: Re: cleaning dvd's Date: 8/31/2007 10:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
When I get a rental DVD that's dirty, I use a little liquid hand soap (with no moisturizer) and a lot of running water to gently clean the surface. It works well, and I'm sure hand dishwashing detergent would work even better.

You need to have a very clean towel ready for the DVD. I don't use paper towels, and I suspect that low-grade ones might scratch.

Chopec

Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21891 of 37183
Subject: Re: cleaning dvd's Date: 8/31/2007 10:47 AM
Recommendations: 1
Although this is about removing scratches, I thought this was interesting:
http://www.wisebread.com/quickly-removing-scratches-from-cds-and-dvds

There is a lot more if you do a Google search:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGIH,GGIH:2006-50,GGIH:en&q=removing+scratches+from+cd

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21898 of 37183
Subject: Re: cleaning dvd's Date: 8/31/2007 12:53 PM
someone i know suggested washing them with dawn dish detergent. anyone have experience with that?

I have done so with no penalty.

I don't know whether it's recommended.

MOI

Author: vnr214 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21935 of 37183
Subject: Re: cleaning dvd's Date: 9/1/2007 7:39 PM
thanks for the responses

i realized when i got back on here that i had put dvd's when i actually meant cd's but i'm guessing that the same advice applies

(sheesh)

-v-

Author: mastiffmama Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21989 of 37183
Subject: Re: cleaning dvd's Date: 9/5/2007 3:53 PM
any suggestoins for cleaning dvd's that have been left out and gotten crud on them?

When I subscribed to netflix, they recommended using windex.

Author: 6Bitsadollar Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21990 of 37183
Subject: Re: cleaning dvd's Date: 9/5/2007 3:59 PM

When I subscribed to netflix, they recommended using windex.

The computer repair guy also recommended using windex and then wiping gently with a lint free towel.

Molly

Author: LQueiros Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21991 of 37183
Subject: Re: cleaning dvd's Date: 9/5/2007 4:01 PM
Regular dirt can be cleaned with mild soap and water. For scratches, I've always heard you can use toothpaste (not the gel forms) to polish them. Here's some info on that, and a few other tips:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/77

You can even use a banana, banana peel and some glass cleaner to make scratches dissapear - cool video here:

http://lifehacker.com/software/macgyver-tip/clean-a-scratched-cd-or-dvd-with-a-banana-289578.php

Laura

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement