UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SoftSimp Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37033  
Subject: cleaning out the garage Date: 6/29/2003 1:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This weekend we pulled everything out of the garage and piled it all on the driveway. I am now working on cleaning the spider eggs off it all and putting it back, and there is a whole lot of stuff we'd like to sell/discard/donate.

It seems like whenever a family member moves, we somehow wind up with all the "good" stuff that they no longer want. We haven't been able to park in our garage for about 2 years!!

The best stuff we have to get rid of is probably some exercise equipment (stepper, resistance bench, exercise bike(s). I was thinking about selling some of this stuff online, but I think shipping costs would be prohibitive. Any thoughts there? We also have a lot of books, some in very good condition. We also have some limited edition ceramics and prints I inherited from my grandmother.

I'm thinking that the order I should do this is:

1. Discard - anything that's broken or too yucky for someone to want.
2. Sell online - the collectable type stuff that could fetch a higher price given a wider audience.
3. Garage sale - anything that's too bulky or doesn't sell online. DH has volunteered to sit at it.
4. Donate - anything that doesn't sell that I still believe has some life left in it and might be worth hauling to Goodwill (or another charity - I'm open to suggestions).
5. Discard - anything that's left that I don't believe I'll use in the next 6 months.

Does anyone see any problems with this plan of action?

The discarding part is the hardest for me. I am a big-time packrat. I have small peices of scrap lumber, rusty screws, baskets out the wazoo, etc. Any suggestions on how to get myself to truly "let go" of some of this stuff? It helps that I've finally realized that space and being able to locate stuff is also worth something, so I'm not as driven by the thought that I might need it one day as I used to be. Still, it'll really bother me if I should find myself in the position of needing to purchase something that I discarded - but I have to draw the line. (I'm into gardening and we own a rental property, so I actually do find a use for a lot of this stuff on occasion - I'm just to the point that I need the space to save my sanity!)

Also, we've never had a garage sale before, so I could use some advice. A "how-to" checklist would be awesome!

All thoughts and suggestions welcome, pro or con. Thanks!

SoftSimp
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6926 of 37033
Subject: Re: cleaning out the garage Date: 6/29/2003 1:32 PM
Recommendations: 0
This weekend we pulled everything out of the garage and piled it all on the driveway.

I'm surprised that no one asked if you were having a garage sale or offered to buy any of it whilst it was out in the driveway.

rad

Author: NaggingFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6928 of 37033
Subject: Re: cleaning out the garage Date: 6/29/2003 2:02 PM
Recommendations: 3
The discarding part is the hardest for me. I am a big-time packrat. I have small peices of scrap lumber, rusty screws, baskets out the wazoo, etc. Any suggestions on how to get myself to truly "let go" of some of this stuff?

I'm not great about getting rid of stuff that I might use someday, but I am getting better.

If you keep everything, you'll have a thing that you need some day in the future (if you can find it), and it doesn't cost you any money at the time you need it. But it costs you the space you have been keeping it in (and all the things you didn't use in). And it costs you the time you spent taking care of the pile of stuff.

If you throw everything away you will need to pay some money later to get a thing that you used to have. BUT it probably won't be very much money. Because you won't be paying for ALL of the items you got rid of, just for a few of them. So you aren't paying to get the item that you used to own. You're paying for the convenience of storing the item at the store, not in your home.

So how do you find the break-even point? Here's what I do, and it does help:

- Decide to keep a limited about of certain things. If you want to have some scrap wood, decide to make a space to hold scrap wood. When it's full you have to throw scrap wood away (either the new or the old, whichever is less good). If you want to have extra baskets, decide you'll keep five baskets.

- Identify things that would be hard to replace and things that would be easy to replace. Think about getting rid of the things that would be easy to replace.

- Accept that you can't do everything. I had been saving the little cardboard tags that came with every piece of clothing thinking that I would put them with the receipts and this way I could return defective clothing. But I never did. I finally told myself that if at some later time I was ready and had the time, energy, and the system to do such a thing I could start saving them again. But until then I toss them when I take them off the clothes.

Good luck!
Megan

Author: Fallout2Queen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6929 of 37033
Subject: Re: cleaning out the garage Date: 6/29/2003 2:55 PM
Recommendations: 1
Any suggestions on how to get myself to truly "let go" of some of this stuff?

When you find yourself saying "it's still good, yet!" Ask yourself "What good is this __________ doing for me?" Having to admit that something isn't good for me to heve/keep makes it a lot easier to get rid of it. I'm working on getting rid of stuff, too. My house is still cluttered, but it's a lot better than it was.

Also, we've never had a garage sale before, so I could use some advice. A "how-to" checklist would be awesome!

Read some of these articles:
http://www.stretcher.com/menu/topic-g.htm#garagesales

Author: SoftSimp Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6937 of 37033
Subject: Re: cleaning out the garage Date: 7/2/2003 7:31 PM
If you throw everything away you will need to pay some money later to get a thing that you used to have. BUT it probably won't be very much money. Because you won't be paying for ALL of the items you got rid of, just for a few of them. So you aren't paying to get the item that you used to own. You're paying for the convenience of storing the item at the store, not in your home.

That's an excellent way to look at it. I think it'll help me let go of some of this stuff (we actually pitched a bunch of my lumber collection this morning).

- Accept that you can't do everything.

Another excellent piece of advice. While I accept it in theory, in practice I think "just a few more weeks and I'll get to it." But that's probably how this problem started. You should see me "to read" pile.

Thanks for the insights, Megan!

SoftSimp

Author: SoftSimp Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6938 of 37033
Subject: Re: cleaning out the garage Date: 7/2/2003 7:33 PM
I'm surprised that no one asked if you were having a garage sale or offered to buy any of it whilst it was out in the driveway.

LOL! Somebody sort of did, and made it pretty obvious that they weren't interested in buying any of it!

SoftSimp

Author: SoftSimp Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6939 of 37033
Subject: Re: cleaning out the garage Date: 7/2/2003 7:41 PM
When you find yourself saying "it's still good, yet!" Ask yourself "What good is this __________ doing for me?"

I've been working on it. I *think* I'm getting better at it.

Read some of these articles:
http://www.stretcher.com/menu/topic-g.htm#garagesales

Thanks!

SoftSimp

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement