Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (319) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: sonofed Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 445731  
Subject: Re: Origin of Morality Date: 4/3/2002 11:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Cliff,

If you needed your car to get your kid to the hospital, and your neighbor stole it out of your driveway because his kid needed to get to the hospital too, would you be okay with it because he got to it first?

If I store up food and water (just barely enough to feed me and my family) in anticipation of a big storm, and you don't, when the storm hits, can you come over and take my food and water (causing my family to starve) based on your need?

How can you know whether a piece of somebody else's property you decide you need to save a life isn't already required by the owner of the property for a similar purpose?

What right do you have to deprive another person of the right to his property based on your limited understanding of the role that property serves for the owner?

Now, if your child was in need of a ride to the hospital and you came to my house, I would lend you my car voluntarily because life is more important than property from that perspective.

The issue is that you don't get to decide that for the owner of the property, since you can only have at best an incomplete understanding of the role of the property.

Steve
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (319) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement