Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121959  
Subject: Cliff peeled his arm Date: 12/15/2012 10:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Cliff (border collie) tore his fur off his right "forearm" while running through the woods. I've never seen anything like it and would like input. The wound isn't a cut. It is not bleeding. It is a bare spot 1/4" wide and 4" long. It looks like the top layer of skin was cleanly peeled off with the fur but the lower layer of skin is intact. I put antibiotic on it. Anyone seen anything like it?

I didn't take Cliff to the vet because it didn't look like it could be closed by stitching. Just the surface was removed and he wasn't bleeding.

Wendy
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120213 of 121959
Subject: Re: Cliff peeled his arm Date: 12/16/2012 10:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
wendy, the only time I've seen this is when a scared rabbit went under my chain link fence to escape and tore some skin off. Rabbits are fragile emotionally and died pretty quick from shock.

Cliff is a lucky dog.....I would be more inclined to go to vet for proper cleaning and an antibiotic shot for safety.

good luck with your crazy BC :)

LD

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120214 of 121959
Subject: Re: Cliff peeled his arm Date: 12/16/2012 10:32 AM
I read over your post again and see that it didn't bleed at all but it is a fairly large area....I know it's expensive but I'd still take it or at least call and ask them about it.

LD

p.s. I miss old poster from yrs. back, a vet named Drrrckdvm...he was a good guy to me helping me with my chemo dog and auto immune disease. not saying he wasn't quirky though...we all are I think. :)

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120215 of 121959
Subject: Re: Cliff peeled his arm Date: 12/17/2012 2:02 PM
It sounds like what you're describing is as if someone shaved off the area - but not just the fur but also the top layer of skin (I'm assuming the skin exposed is pinkish).

Since it's not fully opened, I doubt there's a high risk of infection. The one reason I could see showing it to a vet is to see if they've seen something like this before and if so what could have caused it - so you know what to look out for in the woods.

Author: Maraith Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120272 of 121959
Subject: Re: Cliff peeled his arm Date: 1/5/2013 1:04 AM
Recommendations: 1
I miss old poster from yrs. back, a vet named Drrrckdvm...

Dr. Rick died some years ago. The link to his obit was listed on this site at the time. I liked him too. His love for animals was always apparent.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement