UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884508  
Subject: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 1/12/2013 7:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
I'm sure most people know this, but my wife reminded me last week when the kitchen sink drain seemed plugged...

She simply poured down a tablespoon or so of ordinary baking soda and then a small amount of that good old standby white vinegar (useful around the house for countless things). You could hear the commotion down there, and pretty soon we could run water just fine. It's been fine since.

Cheaper than "Liquid Plumber" and totally "eco friendly"!

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
Author: numbrel Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870379 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 1/12/2013 8:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
A can of Coke will unclog most drains also.

Barbara

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870380 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 1/12/2013 9:14 AM
cleaning drains with baking soda and white vinegar

I use baking soda and/or white vinegar (and rubbing alcohol) to clean just about everything. Funny you mention this just now as several days ago I asked my husband to do the baking soda & vinegar thing in all of our drains (he just retired...starting him off easy on the honey-do list...he enjoyed the little volcanoes, which brought up memories of science class demos from his youth ;-)

One non-eco-friendly cleaning product I still use is bleach. We live in a humid area and add a little bleach when we wash our white bath linens to prevent mold/mildew when damp washcloths & towels are hanging in the bathroom (no openable window in there either, just glass block over the tub). I tried using vinegar, but I don't think it worked as well.

The other non-ecofriendly item we use is dishwasher detergent. Any solutions out there? We went to Costco yesterday in part to get our annual giant tub of Kirkland dishwasher detergent, but they don;t sell it that way any more. And I need to get something else within a week.

=alstro, buys a 2-gallon container of white vinegar and a big bag of baking soda about twice a year

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870382 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 1/12/2013 10:01 AM
She simply poured down a tablespoon or so of ordinary baking soda and then a small amount of that good old standby white vinegar (useful around the house for countless things). You could hear the commotion down there, and pretty soon we could run water just fine. It's been fine since.

I think there is a big difference between a kitchen clog (generally food items/grease/oil) and bathroom clogs (generally hair/hair products).

Would that work for a hair clog?

GSF

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870383 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 1/12/2013 10:11 AM

Physically removing it. Take off the trap and remove any hair from it. Check to see if there is any hair between the sink drain and trap and also after the trap. An old toothbrush can help clean off any gunk clinging to the sides of the drain pipe.

Author: 4thebird Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870384 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 1/12/2013 10:16 AM
Recommendations: 2
I love my zip it for hair in the drains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP250uL1k5A

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870386 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 1/12/2013 10:26 AM
I love my zip it for hair in the drains.

You have to be careful with the Zip-It on some drains. Our bathroom sinks have a drain stopper that is pushed up and down by a horizontal rod that sticks into the drain pipe. That is where all the hair gets caught. Without removing the rod before using the Zip-It, you risk snapping the rod off.

PSU

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870387 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 1/12/2013 10:52 AM
Recommendations: 1

The other non-ecofriendly item we use is dishwasher detergent. Any solutions out there?

While i do not know if it is more or less eco-friendly, it is less expensive and you know what the contents are...

1 Tablespoon Washing soda
1 tablespoon Borax
Use White Vinegar instead of a rinse agent

peace & the basics
t

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870388 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 1/12/2013 10:59 AM
GSF:

Dunno, but I somehow doubt it. Have to reach down and clear hair from the shower drain now and then (yuck...).

Vermonter

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870389 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 1/12/2013 12:06 PM
Have to reach down and clear hair from the shower drain now and then (yuck...).

Shortly after I moved to this apartment I cleaned the underneath part of my toilet tank, and when I looked at the results I wasn't sure if I should call Stephen King or the Harvard Biology lab.

Nancy

Author: Blackduff Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870391 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 1/12/2013 12:20 PM
I have "cristaux de soudre" here in France. It's basically what is being used in the "Old Trick". So far it's not doing any miracles on my calcium spots on my shower glass screen. Close but no cigar!

A friend works at a campsite where there's hundreds of trailers. He uses this product too for clearing the sewers, easily. But, if you put too much of the "Old Trick", it can disolve the PVC sewer pipes. Of course he is brutal cleaning the trailer sewers.

Blackduff

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870393 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 1/12/2013 1:14 PM
1 tablespoon Borax

peace & the basics
t

Do you do this? Anybody else? The hubster's askeered to put something unusual in his new Bosch dishwasher (that he bought when I was living in NY, so I had little input and he does the dishes anyway).

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870394 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 1/12/2013 3:51 PM
Nancy:

Yetch...

Vermonter

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870401 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 1/12/2013 7:33 PM
this is exactly what I use (and I think LQ as well)
- and I think also kind of the primary ingredients/chemicals in dishwasher detergent anyway...

I think, if anything they might be more mild chemicals than what is commercially sold and easier on the Bosch.

peace & german engineering
t

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870402 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 1/12/2013 8:34 PM
Try having a 15 year old Chinese daughter with hair down her back and showers almost every day (she's a runner). I am unclogging her drain every month. I told her to brush her hair before she showers, but it doesn't seem to work.

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870404 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 1/12/2013 9:44 PM
LLR, you might try something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/ctm/Bath-Shower-Drain-Filter-Hair-Trap-

http://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?itemID=26774&itemType=...

Author: jrdown Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870406 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 1/13/2013 1:23 AM
BlueGrits ~

I use the exact same filter that you highlighted in the first link. I got it at WalMart for about $3. So far it works well. My son keeps forgetting to put it at the bottom of the tub so I do deal with some hair in the drain but not much.

Robyn

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870414 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 1/13/2013 12:51 PM
I completely second the plastic drain thing -

until his most recent locks-of-love donation the elf had long hair, Mine is down to the top of my pants, GoMC shaves in the shower (although he claims that his hair never contributes to clogs) -
we used to have to snake the drain every 4-6 months

Since using one of those $2 filters (the trick to which is cleaning it before/after every shower, to avoid slow draining) we have not had to do that in the last 2 years

peace & prevention
t

Author: bookie71 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870417 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 1/13/2013 1:52 PM
We got one of the plastic drain things at Kroger for a lot less. Our daughter has very long hair and it was a mess when she visited,not so bad now.

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870484 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 1/15/2013 9:10 AM
I use the combo tconi mentioned, but I now add some citric acid (cheap in bulk from Amazon) and salt. Helps with hard water and and cloudiness on glasses. I add the citric acid separately so my basic powder doesn't clump. The powder mix makes a good sink scrub too. The borax really helps stainless shine.

You can also just cut your regular dishwashing powder with borax, if you want to start more simply. Try 2 parts powder to 1 part borax.

Definitely switch to white vinegar for your rinse agent. Those little bottles run about $3-4 but substituting vinegar costs less than 10 cents. Absolutely works as well.

50/50 baking soda/borax makes a fab sink/counter/tub scrub, as an alternative.

More info on recipes, tips here:
http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-dishwasher-detergent-soap...

Check the blog of One Good Thing by Jillee too. She has some tips from her experiments with it. Can't post the link at the moment.

Laura

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 873139 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 4/7/2013 3:22 PM
This reminds me that pouring a pot of boiling water down the drains once a week also helps keep the drains open.

Thanks for posting this. I've got two or three gallons of white vinegar sitting around that I didn't know what to do with. I'll get started on the drains today.

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 873140 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 4/7/2013 3:24 PM
1 tablespoon Borax

Aren't borax and washing soda the same thing?

(sorry if this is a repeat question. I'm catching up on old posts.)

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 873143 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 4/7/2013 3:35 PM
I've got two or three gallons of white vinegar sitting around that I didn't know what to do with.

I see the words ...

peace & where do I start?
t

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 873144 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 4/7/2013 3:41 PM
Aren't borax and washing soda the same thing?

No

Borax=Sodium Borate (Na2B4O7·10H2O)
PH is 9.5 and breaks down into Hydrogen Peroxide

Washing Soda=Sodium Carbonate (Na2CO3)
PH is 11

peace & not a chemist, but can Google
t

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 873153 of 884508
Subject: Re: Clogged Drains - Old Trick Date: 4/7/2013 6:19 PM
No.

Washing soda is: Sodium Carbonate (Na2CO3)

Borax is: Sodium Borate (Na2B4O7·10H2O)

Ishtar

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement